Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck happened?

So night before last I mixed up a pizza dough really late and set an alarm to wake up after 2 hours to shape the dough and get it in the fridge to develop. Only I didn't wake up and had to shape the dough 6 hours later rather than 2 hours later. I used 00 high temp flour from Naples. I fired up the Kamado to 700 degrees tonight and let the pizza stone heat for 45 minutes. As you can see, the bottom of the pizza was burned to a crisp. That hasn't ever happened before. The only othervariable that I did change was that I used, at my bride's request, much more tomato sauce than I ever had. I need my gurus to solve this mystery for me so that it doesn't happen again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2509EB10-3BBC-4262-9DC7-5923E06A29DA.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1246944
    Attached Files

I'm hardly a guru, but my first guess is that somehow your stone was hotter than your previous cooks, assuming you cooked for the same amount of time. Was the fuel stacked higher than usual so that it was closer to the stone? The temp in your dome thermometer may not give you the full picture of what the temp is on the stone.

If you have an IR gun, I strongly recommend seeing what temp your stone is at before launching the pizza.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      It's puzzling. The dome temp was never over 700. I do need an IR thermometer, thanks for stoking my MCS Jim White

scrape it off and eat it!

Comment

maybe you should check out amazingvegan.com

Comment

Same dough recipe you usually use? Same temp in the dome? Any sugar or olive oil in the dough? What, if anything did you use on the peel to help launch? My guess is that your stone was hotter than previous cooks and yes, you definitely need an IR thermometer. :-)

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Same recipe, no sugar no olive oil. Same dome temp. A mystery. Only cooked for 4-5 minutes, tops.

• WillTravelForFood
          WillTravelForFood commented
          Editing a comment
          Is 4-5 minutes too long? How’d it look at 2 mins?

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          WillTravelForFood the crust was cooked, but not ideal

Call it Cajun pizza and don't sweat it.

Comment

On my kamado, using my Lodge CI pizza pan as my stone, I've found that there is a magic temperature around 750F at which I scorch the bottom of the pizzas just like you show, but if I keep the temp down to about 650-700F, they come out perfect.

I have to imagine that some of the ingredients in the dough I make just don't tolerate the "stone" being up at 750-ish, and that is past their spontaneous combustion temp or something. I know you need a specific dough recipe to use a pizza oven at 900F, and I imagine that my recipe ain't it.

Since you used high temp flour, I just have to think that the stone was hotter than your dome temp. You had the deflector in place didn't you, and the stone above the deflector?

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            No gap is the problem!! You need a gap!

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin you can't do that! Otherwise the stone will be the same temp as the heat hitting the bottom of the deflector! Put in the deflector, THEN the cooking grate, and your stone goes on top of the cooking grate. If you have an elevated grate, put the stone on it - the higher the better. You were basically cooking your pizza on direct heat and not indirect high heat like you need to.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris and @scttranda you guys are the best. Thank you!

A Mosca or Attjack recommendation I believe. Works perfectly and cheap!

Helect (NOT for Human) Infrared Thermometer, Non-Contact Digital Laser Temperature Gun -58°F to 1022°F (-50°C to 550°C) with LCD Display https://a.co/bi0PzMU
          Last edited by STEbbq; July 4, 2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, brother!

As I mentioned above, you need an air gap between the heat deflectors and the pizza stone. You can use foil bunched up in shape of C (you need two of them). Or some bolts to create the gap.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much

Looks a little charred. I have never over charred anything that I would admit to.
          Order of blame, the Cooker, the spouse, the kids, the pet, the neighbor.
          "I may not be right, but I am never wrong"

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            bbqLuv I knew it was my wife's fault!

As I mentioned in my comment above - you MUST have an air gap. I put in my deflector, THEN put in the cooking grate, and put the stone on the cooking grate. If you have an elevated grate, even better - get a lot of air gap in there. You want the pizza higher into the dome rather than lower if possible. You are looking for indirect high heat. You basically grilled the bottom of the pizza on direct heat - that is why it scorched so bad.

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep yep yep.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang! I wish you guys were on hand locally to supervise cause I need the help!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here