Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry New York and Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry New York and Chicago

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — October is National Pizza Month — and Portland was recently named the Best Pizza City in the Country according to the authors of Modernist Pizza. ‘Modernist Pizza’ author: Portland pizza best in US One of the shops that helped the city gain such notoriety is The Star.

Most people would probably point their finger at Portland, Oregon. The city has gained a serious reputation among beer lovers with a mammoth 68 microbreweries in operation, the most of any American city.

And yet I like "Take and Bake" with PBR.

What is your favorite pizza and pairing?

Hey y’all, let’s head out to Portland for some abalone and sprouts pizza! Yeah right.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget the kale.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      It has been many many years since I have eaten abalone. Do not know if it is available anymore. Back in the 60"s, we could harvest abalone. But no more as it was disallowed. If

Thanks Portland, but everyone knows the world epicenter of great pizza is Morton Grove, IL. Between the pan pizza at Burt's Place and Pequod's (they even deliver) and an outpost of the fabulous stuffed pizza chain, Giordano's, what more could one want? That's three top notch joints in a town of about 22,000 people. Morton Grove is kind of the Lockhart, Texas of the pizza world.
    Last edited by Draznnl; October 5, 2021, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      How long has Pequod’s been around? I first heard about it 2-3 years ago, but haven’t made it there yet. It’s definitely a hole in my life long pizza lover’s resume.
      Last edited by Sid P; October 5, 2021, 10:14 AM.

Sid P
    ​​​​​​​Per realdeepdish.com , Burt Katz opened Pequod’s in 1971 and sold it in the mid-1980’s.

A few years later, he opened Burt’s Place around the corner from Pequod’s. If you’re making a single trek to Morton Grove, I recommend Burt’s Place. The pizza is, in my view, a slight bit better.
    Last edited by Draznnl; October 5, 2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      @Draznni Thank you.

Click Bait!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      ???? what is click bait?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Drives more page views on a website. In other words I think he's calling BS here.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Put out a controversial title/statement to encourage people to click on it, which for some creates profit by generating web traffic.

In my former role I used to travel out to Portland a few times a year and I always hit up the breweries that were within walking distance to my hotel. And the big book store. But I don't know about their pizza. I love Pequods, and haven't been to Burts yet though I don't live too far from there. I like to keep it simple, cheese, pepperoni, and/sausage. Though I love a good deep dish we usually get thin crust. PBR would pair well with that as would an Old Style.

Comment

Connecticut has the best Pizza. Frank Pepe's; Modern; Sally's. Wooster St - apizza is amazing!

New Haven-style pizza, locally known as apizza, is a style of thin-crust, coal-fired Neapolitan pizza common in and around New Haven, Connecticut. It originated at the Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana and is now served in many other pizza restaurants in the area, most notably Sally's Apizza and Modern Apizza.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife is from the New Haven area. I would agree that they make some darn fine pizza there.

Pizza is a lot like a thrift store. One man trash is another's treasure. I don't fight over which is best or better. I do live in Chicagoland. I can tell you there are some really great places and some I find completely terrible.

But to answer the question:
      Peperoni, Green peppers, Onions, Olives. with a Colt 45

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        here too--but for PBR

My pizza is better than yer pizza………..oh yeah! Mine is better…..oh yeah…….

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Sadly the pizza sucks in my town.

I'll trade a Central Texas post oak smoked brisket for a couple of good Chi-town pies? Shipping should offset.

As to Portland....meh

Comment

you heard it here first and it's the same outcome everytime:

1 person wants pepperoni pizza.
        12 people want pizza with vegetables.
        first empty pizza box?
        the pepperoni box.

Comment

• synodog
          synodog commented
          Editing a comment
          Annoying to say the least. Works with ice cream in our house too. I want the peanut butter moose tracks and everyone says, "you always get that," and then suggest some other obscure or exotic flavor(s) and get them. Which is the first to be gone? MINE!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes @synodod , mine!

Again, PLEEEAAASE do not put food talk in the Off Topic, Non-Food, Non-Cooker Discussions channel.

Thank you for your help to keep this place organized properly @bbqluv

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          He's had one too many PBRs

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          This was about the ratings in Portland.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; October 5, 2021, 06:17 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv, of pizza places, which is food and/or restaurant talk.

pretty sure take and bake means something different in Portland

Comment

I usually go for red wine with pizza and I usually make the pizza myself. Tonight, if it ever stops raining, I'll make smoked beef and wild mushroom on white sauce. I'll have to check to see if I have a stout in the beer fridge but I'll probably have to open a bottle of wine.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment

I’ll take my Chicago style pizza and smile. If the other stuff floats ur boat, good for u. When I want pizza I know I got pizza, not something that is supposed to trick me into something that isn’t pizza but is called pizza. Somethings r better left simple. Everyone I know who moves away from here misses the food that has been done here. Enjoy whatever "Pizza " u want to enjoy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here