Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on three Gasser Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on three Gasser Question

Has anybody tried making regular (a/k/a NY style) pizza on the gas grill, in general, and on inverted (rails down) Grill Grates in particular? If so, any tips, tricks or pointers?

I have never made pizza on a grill. Nevertheless, it is my understanding to grill the pizza dough on one side, flip the dough grilling on the other side and add the topping.

Comment

I’ve done it on my Weber Summit E670. I don’t have GG so can’t comment on them. I use a pizza stone on my regular grates. I can get the summit way over 700* though don’t actually know how hot as the Weber hood thermometer tops out at 700. Heat the stone in the grill as you warm up the grill. All burners on high and infrared burner on top on high. Get a nice crispy bottom crust in a couple minutes.

oh, is there any other style than NY or Neapolitan style pizza? I don’t think so.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        kjbarth - I don't think so either, but I was trying to be at least a littler PC 😁🍕

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty much the same here...only difference is the model. LOL Mine is Platinum D6.

And it will get "stoopid hot" and peg the lid thermometer. Just make sure to bring the stone up to temp with the grill...saves on thermal shock stone destruction.

I used that for EVERYTHING, long before I had multiple cookers, and IR guns, and yada yada yada.

We make pizza regularly on the Napoleon gas grill in fact we made one last night. Our gas grill will easily get to 550F it has three burners two are below and one is a back burner which is used with the rotisserie. We use a Lodge 14” cast iron pizza pan. The hardest part is getting the top and bottom done at the same time. It usually takes about 10-12 minutes to cook.

Comment

Dr._Pat went into some detail on how he upped his pizza on the grill game here: Made from scratch homemade grilled pizza - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Yes, I've made pizza with thinnish crust on my Weber gasser with Grill Grates set flat side up. If you get the GGs too hot, you'll burn the bottom of the crust long before the top gets done, especially if you're tempted to pile on the cheese and other toppings.

It's been awhile, but I recall about 400-450 F on the surface of the GGs seemed to be the best, but remember I'm a rookie at this pizza thing, so I'm still learning too.

I was also playing around with making an enclosure to trap heat above the pizza -- 2-3 firebricks stacked on either side of the pizza with a cookie sheet resting on the bricks.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I know that temp range is lower than what other people mention about cooking pizza in general, but my guess is the GGs, being aluminum, transfer heat faster to the crust than the firebrick in a dedicated pizza oven. First time I tried this, I learned screaming hot GGs cook the crust way too quick.

IowaGirl , hacking are fun......................

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza oven kludge 01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1062296

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll just stick to cooking in the indoor oven for the time being.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Tonight I'll be doing pizza on the kettle.

Long ago I would put 2 pizza stones side by side on my 4 burner gas grill and heat them on high. It worked pretty well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here