Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

issues with dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issues with dough

So I use a Ken Fornish dough and follow the recipe to a T. However even with corn meal it sticks to my wood peel any ideas or suggestions

You can't let it sit - ya gotta shake the peel frequently to keep it from sticking.

Also, what % hydration is your dough? It could be too wet. If it sticks to your hands, it's probably gonna stick to the peel.

It would help to know which recipe you are using too.

Comment

its 70% water. 500 grams 00 flour with a 24 to 48 hr fermentation. then divide it into 5 pies

i know its highly hydrsted but suppose to be able to take the height to make Napolitan pizze

Comment

A little less hydration may help. What temp stone are you cooking on? The higher the temp, the less hydration you can get away with. But also…

I work the dough out on a board, then transfer to the floured peel and shake every 10 seconds or so while adding the toppings. If it sticks to the peel you can peel back the dough and toss more flour/cornmeal under the sticky spot. Just keep shaking and checking that it is loose on the peel while you build it.

Comment

Rice flour. It won’t stick

Comment

If you aren’t, try creating your pizza on another surface and then slide it onto the peel and then straight into the oven. I also prefer Semolina over corn meal.

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. Stretch and top the pizza and then pull it onto a floured peel and transfer to the oven as quick as possible.
              A 70% hydration dough is going to be hard to handle either way. The other thing that works well is to stretch and top on parchment paper and launch onto the stone with the parchment. After 1-2 min the parchment will slide right out

you can always add a piece of parchment paper. For me, I use semolina flour, and shape it on the peel, flipping back and forth, when I have the shape and elasticity has given in to me, I will do a pre bake to get the crust some structure, not super long time, but, then I load it and slide it back in. I never have problems if I give them a couple minute pre bake on the higher rack.

Comment

I just lightly flour the peel. I don’t care for cornmeal ends up all over the place and end up with same result with the flour. I had some pretty sticky dough out of the proofing bin but once you flour and shape it, it’s fine. I also shape on a floured board and transfer to the peel, dress the pizza and right into the oven. Hope this helps you.

Comment

thanks for the advice. this js a great ppace goe help

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here