Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grits Brand Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grits Brand Recommendation

Let me start by saying I like grits, which may sound odd for a half Italian New Englander. I like polenta too, but they are different. When my wife and I visited Savanna, Beaufort and Charleston a few years back, I think I had Shrimp & Grits every day.

In the Boston area, all the stores seem to only stock Quaker Old Fashion Grits. My wife and I like to make Shrimp & Grits and want to find a different brand to try. This brand doesn’t seem to come out as creamy as the recipes we had down there and we’ve tried a few recipe variations with milk, chicken stock in addition to just water. I’ve read up on yellow vs. white corn and understand there are differences.

I welcome your input on this culinary adventure.

I really enjoy Palmetto Farms white stone ground grits. Been using them for years.
    Palmetto Farms, Grits Stone Ground White, 32 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HHNUUE...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    They also have very good yellow stone ground grits, excellent for polenta.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; March 2, 2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I saw those on Amazon. I will give them a look.

I've used Anson Mills in the past in restaurants I've worked in. Definitely recommend

Comment

I like Magic Grits - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AqbDtSFNU

Comment

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do the laws of physics cease to exit on your stove?

Geechie Boy, https://geechieboymill.com They are changing their name to Marsh Hen. Great for shrimp and grits.
      Last edited by Donw; March 2, 2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

My Dad went to school down south. He loved grits and always made the Quaker brand. They were pretty good.

Boiled peanuts was another southern treat he liked...nasty nasty business.
        Last edited by Old Glory; March 2, 2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

We like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, try adding some smoked sausage to the shrimp and grits for a different flavor profile.

Comment

• ScottyC13
            ScottyC13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. We’ve done Andouille sausage and chourico. Great tip!

Charleston Favorites Stone Ground Grits:

Click image for larger version

Name:	71y1mbM68VL._SL1080_.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	998435

Kathryn

Comment

• ScottyC13
            ScottyC13 commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc

Is there a taste difference between the yellow and white?

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            ScottyC13 , I think that yellow grits taste a bit more "corn-y", and white is milder. Our family prefers yellow for breakfast and white for Shrimp and Grits, for example.

K.

• ScottyC13
            ScottyC13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

There is a Bob's Red Mill here in Portland OR.
          High-end stoned ground.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here