Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Shots

I made "Pig Shots" for everyone at work today. They turned out great. I have a few modifications I will make next time I make them.

I found this recipe on YouTube. There are a bunch of different videos and a bunch of different recipes.

I used:
    1 package of Eckrich Natural Casing Kielbasa
    1 package Walnut Creek Thick Cut Double Smoked Bacon
    1 8 oz. package Reduced Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 8 oz. brick of Walnut Creek Pepper Jack Cheese.
    A Sweet Heat BBQ rub I made last week.

I started by putting the brick of Pepper Jack cheese in the freezer to harden up and putting the cream cheese on the counter to soften up.

Then I sliced the Kielbasa into ~3/8" thick discs.

Next I trimmed off the ends of each piece of bacon and then cut them in half. I also squared them up as good as I could.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIG 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	934713

The reason I trimmed off the ends was because the first couple I wrapped up the ends were not sticking together too well. Once I cut off the cured end of the bacon it stuck to itself much easier.

I also trimmed up the bacon so it was more square because I noticed when I wrapped the bacon around the Kielbasa the bacon fat stuck to it self better than the meat. So I made sure I put the fat side of the bacon up instead of the meat side.

The bacon was then wrapped around the kielbasa and skewered with a bamboo skewer. I didn't have any shorter skewers and I didn't feel like cutting the ones I had so I made them "Buy One Get One Free"

Name:	PIG 2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	934711

Name:	PIG 3.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	934712

I made 24 of them last night and put them in a container to store in the refrigerator. I decided to not fill them until today.

Name:	PIG 4.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	934715

Next I shredded up the Pepper Jack Cheese and mixed it in with the Cream Cheese along with a tablespoon of the Sweet Heat BBQ Rub. I put this mixture into a quart size ziploc bag and put in the refrigerator with the bacon wrapped kielbasa.

Today at work I took the cream cheese mixture out of the refrigerator an hour before I wanted to fill the "Shots" so it would soften up. I then cut off the corner of the ziploc bag and piped the mixture into the "Shots"

Name:	PIG 5.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	934714

I set up my work Weber for indirect cooking (Yes I keep my old 22" Weber at work). I used three chunks of Oak I brought in. I sprinkled more of the Sweet Heat BBQ Rub on top of the "Shots" once I put them on the Weber.

Name:	PIG 6.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	934716

After about an hour they were ready. The picture below is about 20 minutes before I took them off.

Name:	PIG 7.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	934717

I didn't take any pictures of the finished product but the bacon rendered out more fat and the cream cheese mixture became more molten.

Everybody enjoyed them. We dipped them in a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's Original.

I kept then simple because I work with two picky eaters.

If I make them again I will be adding more to the cream cheese mixture. It was quite plain. I think some diced up onions and jalapenos would be good. Also thought that you could make a Triple Pig Shot if some smoke pulled pork was added to the cream cheese mixture.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions

Looks great and delicious, thanks.

Comment

Those look pretty good!

Comment

ssandy_561 - 2 questions, if I may:
        1. What temp did you cook them at?
        2. Recipe for the "sweet heat" rub?

They look fabulous, by the way!

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Kettle thermometer said 350. It was above the coals.

Sweet Heat Rub
          1/4 cup dark brown sugar
          1 Tbsp Kosher salt
          2 tsp black pepper
          2 tsp paprika
          2 tsp granulated garlic
          2 tsp granulated onion
          1 tsp ground mustard
          1 tsp cayenne pepper

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

YOU DONE GOOD !

Comment

Those look great!!! They are pretty labor intensive but worth it. I make my cream cheese filling the same as what I put in jalapeño poppers and add a baby shrimp to the bottom of the cup.
          I think I found that recipe on YouTube too.

Comment

Those look fun. I'll have to remember them when (hopefully soon) I have an outdoor party.

And you'll need to change your rub name. My rib rub is called Sweet Heat. I thought I was so original

Comment

Great writeup, them look Dee-lishuss, Brother!

I'd be interested in th original receipt that ya riffed on, I've seen many out there...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 6, 2020, 06:52 PM. Reason: D

Comment

Nice post mate, lookin' tasty, I agree that onions would dress them up.
                This reminds me of my stuffed mushroom recipe & it is a little bland without softened fine diced brown onions.

Comment

Nice play Sir.

Comment

I'd eat those!

Comment

Yum! Thanks!

Comment

They look great! I have started adding diced up jalapenos on my last couple of batches and they came out great! I like the onion idea, too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here