Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syrian Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syrian Rice

This is per request from the "Show us What You're Cooking" thread. The recipe is from my wife's Situ (Lebanese Grandmother).

Syrian Rice

1/2 cup pine nuts
    1/2 cup orzo or fine spaghetti, broken into small pieces
    1 stick butter
    1 lb ground beef and lamb, mixed
    2 cups rice
    1 Tbsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    3-1/2 cups water

Brown pine nuts in about a tsp of butter. Brown ground meat and set aside. Using remainder of butter, brown orzo, stirring constantly until golden brown. Add rice to orzo and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add meat, water, and seasoning' stir well and let come to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add pine nuts and stir well. Serve immediately. Serves 8. Great when mixed with Tzatziki.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SyrianRice.JPG Views:	9 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	907205
    Last edited by hoovarmin; September 7, 2020, 01:22 PM. Reason: Misspelled Tzatziki in the original post

Awesome! Wife is looking over shoulder and saying "yum" .... I think we have a winner! Do you have a recipe for Tzatziki?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks!

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      If I may add my 2 cents to these recipes, and this is just my personal preference - the tzatziki is most excellent when the cucumber and dill are cut extremely fine. But Leeza's Situ made Luben, or Lubneh, which I prefer and it leaves out the dill. Garlic, salt, strained yogurt, cucumber and olive oil. Also, the Syrian rice is every bit as good if not better when Leeza uses spaghetti instead of orzo.
      Last edited by hoovarmin; September 7, 2020, 01:28 PM.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Ina!!!!!!!!

Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Yes, thank you. Looks great!

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing.

There are lots of Syrians and Lebanese here in South Texas. We're blessed to get to enjoy the friendship of many and some of their great food.

Comment

Thanks for that recipe---I was raised in Beirut and Saudi Arabia----met my wife in Beirut in 1962---haven't visited since 2011-- still have friends there----most lost their homes in recent blast---

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Leeza's grandmother on her father's side was Lebanese and that side of the family was the strongest influence because they all immigrated here to Jacksonville and had such strong family traditions.

Gonna have to try this. Will have to come up with a sub for the pine nuts. I don't do them any more since I ate one batch that gave me pine mouth: three days of overwhelming metallic taste. Maybe sunflower seeds...

Comment

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
            Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
            Editing a comment
            When I make pesto I use cashews in place of the pine nuts. Not a lot less expensive, but much easier to find (at least where I am).

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Ann-Marie in the backyard Yes, cashews sound good in this, too. I often use pecans or pepitas in pesto.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, pine mouth sounds like no joke. First I've heard of such a thing and I hope I never get it. I've eaten the recipe before Leeza added the pine nuts and was none the wiser until she scolded me.

Man! I can’t wait to make this. Thank you for sharing this! Love getting recipes that are apart of the family heritage!

And another question - are you serving this as the main dish or is this a side? Seems as if it could be both, but would be great with grilled chicken, beef, lamb?

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m grilling lamb tonight. And if I had the stuff, I would make this in a heartbeat as the side. Will be couscous instead, cause I don’t quite have everything.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly we always eat it as a main dish, but it would be great as a side!

Thank you!!!!

Comment

This dish is so interesting! (I need to file it under "if I ever feel i am in rut, I need to do this one" category.)

Comment

Thanks! On the to do list.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                That's funny because your egg rolls are next up on our cooking list. Hopefully dinner this evening.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here