Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cheese.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cheese.

I have been looking for a topic on smoking cheese. Technique, type of cheese, type of smoke etc. Anyone have anything to share?

I wish I did. I've tried cold smoking cheese on a couple of occasions in my Bradley electric and it always came out terrible.

Comment

I've smoked cheese on my cookshack. I've done cheeses like cheddar, colby jack, pepper jack, low moisture moose, etc. I use a cold smoking baffle that blocks the heat from reaching the upper level where the cheese is. I also set a pan of ice cubes in the smoker to help keep the temp down. I also used pellets for my wood source. I run the smoker until it starts smoking and then shut it off (it's electric). Right out of the smoker it's pretty harsh, but after aging for a week or two it really mellows out. I would imagine you could do the same thing w/ charcoal or wood if you could remove your basket, but don't have any experience with it.

Here's a thread from a while back: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...-smoked-cheese

Here's one in evernote that I clipped from the cookshack forum:

Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center forum.cookshack.com Cookshack Forums Start your Smoking Adventure Here Open Forum Pics / Smoked Cheese from Go to Show Go New Find Notify Tools Reply Personal...

Comment

And another link:

Cookshack Barbecue & Smoke-Cooking Center forum.cookshack.com Cookshack Forums Start your Smoking Adventure Here Open Forum Cheese 101 -- Draft Go New Find Notify Tools Reply Personal Zone » Member Di...

Comment

I've cold smoked cheese in my diy electric ( old dishwasher with heating element ) without the heat using wood pellets in an Amazintube. Keep it under 90 Farenheit. I also let the cheese (tightly wrapped in plastic wrap ) mellow in the fridge for two weeks with tasty results. You may want to use fruit wood like apple or cherry - keep it mild.
          Last edited by Steve Vojtek; June 14, 2015, 11:08 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Comment

I wrote some pointers on how to smoke cheese on my website here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here