Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for rice recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IowaGirlgrantgallagher

i have strained more rice than I can to admit. Only because it’s foolproof (me) and I don’t have to hassle with foil covers or sheet pans as lids. This always works when you don’t have time for a refire.

amature tip: you can salt the rice again after draining. Try that with your fluffy perfect white rice.

Uncle Bob
    Last edited by HouseHomey; February 18, 2020, 06:18 PM. Reason: Forgot uncle bob

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      "Perfect" doesn't need more salt......……………..LOL !
      But I'm kinda hurt ya forgot me the first time...…………………
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; February 18, 2020, 07:12 PM.

Dewesq55 Took longer than I hoped to get to this, but here is the Mexican Red Rice recipe I use. Its from The Border Cookbook by Jamison and Jamison. Even though I brought this cookbook into our marriage, my Texan wife approves of it

2 T oil or lard
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup uncooked rice
    2 roma tomatoes chopped
    2 cups chicken stock (or beef, but we use chicken)
    1 T ground mild red chile or chili powder. (I usually put in closer to 1.5T)
    3/4 tsp salt

Saute onion and garlic in oil until softened.
    Add rice and tomatoes and saute for another minute or two, coating the rice with the oil.
    Add stock, chile, and salt, bring to a boil.
    Reduce to simmer, cook 15-18 minutes until liquid is absorbed
    Remove from heat and let steam 5-10 minutes.

I can highly recommend this cookbook, it has more recipes that we use regularly than any other cookbook we own.

Comment

1 cups rice
      1 onion
      1/2 lb mushrooms
      2 cups chicken or turkey broth
      1/4 stick butter
      salt and pepper

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Do love some mushroom rice!

This is delicious:

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks really good!

Sometimes the rice is not the center of attention, if I have a big spread for a burrito bar or run out of time... Use some of this in your cooking water for the rice, it gives it a nice color and flavor. Very much like basic mexican restaurant rice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	53
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1553619

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Good one. In a similar vein I'll make yellow rice with the use of turmeric in the boiling liquid (chicken stock my preference).

I've made this a few times easy and tasty. I make the rice in a rice cooker then add the butter, garlic, and lemon.

Lemon Rice

Mediterranean, Rice, Sides
      Prep Time: 2 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Servings: Yield: 4 1x

Ingredients:
      1 cup dry white long grain rice
      ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
      1 tablespoon salted butter
      1 small garlic clove, finely minced (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
      1 lemon, zested and juiced
      1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley (optional)

Directions:
      Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it under cold water, then drain and shake dry.
      Place the rice in a saucepan with 1 ½ cups water and ¼ teaspoon of the kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low. Cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed. Remove from the heat, cover and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
      Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the butter, minced garlic, lemon zest and juice, parsley (if using), and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Taste and add additional salt if necessary. Serve immediately or store leftovers refrigerated for up to 5 days; reheat gently on the stovetop.​

Comment

This coconut rice recipe is an easy, delicious side dish! Cooking rice in coconut milk makes it rich, fragrant, and full of coconut flavor.

I really like this as well as her Spanish Rice recipe.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the addition of cilantro and lime. The cashews were interesting, too.

I do love when someone resurrects an old ask and then we get lots of new contributions again!

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too. I started at the beginning and now my instant pot is beeping to let me know that attjack's coconut rice is ready to eat, lol.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here