Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for rice recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for rice recipes

Shockingly, there doesn't seem to be a rice specific channel, so...

While we eat lots of straight rice with foods that have sauces, and I've got a Spanish Rice recipe that we love and make all the time with tacos and fajitas, I need more tasty and flavorful rice side dish recipes. There's only a small number of pre-mixed versions that we really like and those keep being either discontinued or dropped by the store.

So does anybody have either flavored rice sides that they swear by and are willing to share the recipe or good books or websites that have multiple recipes that they trust?

Thanks!

Battle River Wild Rice - We plant, cultivate, harvest, and package the rice right here on our family farm. You deserve to know where your food comes from.

My dad did business with this family for a time so I came into possession of plenty of wild rice. Their standard rice recipe is delicious (wild rice is very tasty and earthy). 4 cups of water to one cup wild rice simmered for 45 minutes. They have some good recipe suggestions on the site too most of them are geared toward weekly meals not culinary magnum opuses.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll check that out. Thanks!

I make this coconut rice pretty often.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IvnigOqXeAjj8Z6Db4ZeA5avTMl30hjH4kp3FwMoVzPK09XWsSDFRqA3NSbgMobjxmj3cxxgIdlAYZZ_T7GB_-M9mofHbSWS1WPxOK4KTMbG7sj2qCDoi8UPD_aiVAA5ywzkeIrjXg3a6kBsHNNUhFfyFN5xN62RjFdU8cei1gvTHQm3t4P0F5QzoHE7vTZOVzkImZ5ii0zRkxpuxkMT5BIf8TXs8_5R0ff_eVx8x246NlYDj0hOdq0K_b3XZuO
Views:	332
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	803810
    • 2 cups jasmine rice
    • 2 T sugar
    • 2 t salt
    • 1 can coconut milk
    • 1.5 c water
    Rinse rice and combine ingredients in Instant Pot. Use the rice button (12m @ low pressure).

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin it's actually been quite a while since I've made it. I'm going to have to plan a meal that includes it.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack have you ever scaled it up to make more? I was just thinking that I'd like to go with 3 cups of jasmine rice and normally I go with a 1:1 ratio, but that was the first time ever using the Instant Pot rice feature (loved it). I don't know if the ratios are the same and it's weird how they don't provide documentation on that with the Instant Pot.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure but I would try scaling it proportionally. Maybe get yourself one of those little cans of coconut milk or open a second can and freeze the leftover milk for later.

Jamaican Rice and Peas - 3 different methods

Ingredients
    1.5 cups of rice (preferably basmati)
    ½ cup of fresh (dried) pigeon peas
    5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
    1 uncut scotch bonnet or habanero pepper (1 jalapeno pepper may be used as a substitute)
    3 Scallions
    1/2 cup of coconut milk
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 sprig of fresh thyme (1 teaspoon of dried thyme may be used as a substitute)

Stove Top
    1. If you are using fresh peas then wash them.
    2. Pour on three cups of water and leave to soak overnight (nb - there is no need to do this if you are using tinned peas)
    3. Chop the garlic and add to 3.5 cups of boiling water
    4. If you are using fresh peas add them now and boil for 45 minutes.
    5. You can test to see if the peas are cooked by crushing them against the lid of the pot.
    6. (If they crush easily, you are ready to move on to the next step) NB - If you are using tinned peas just add them to the pot and move straight on to the next step.
    7. Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix.
    8. Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this.
    9. Also add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb - the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavour.
    10. The Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used).
    11. The Rice and Peas is now ready to serve!

Rice Cooker
    Follow directions above to Step 4. Then, drain the peas into a colander set over a bowl or measuring cup. Measure the reserved cooking water and, if necessary, add cold water to make 3 cups. Put peas, rice and all remaining ingredients into the rice cooker. Add 3 cups of pea-cooking water. Cook on the white rice setting of the rice cooker. When the rice cooker is done, open the top and fish out the scallions and habanero pepper. Fluff the rice up with a wooden spoon or rice paddle.

Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot
    1. Soak dried beans overnight in plenty of cold water. In the morning, drain and refrigerate until ready to use them.
    2. Put soaked beans and chopped garlic in the Instant Pot with 3.5 cups of water and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes followed by a full natural release. Remove the inner pot and pour through a strainer set over a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Return peas and garlic to the Instant Pot.
    3. Measure only 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid and add to the Instant Pot.
    4. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to incorporate the coconut milk into the cooking liquid.
    5. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural release then quick release the remainder of the pressure. As with the electric rice cooker, fish out the scallions and hot pepper and mix and fluff with a wooden spoon or rice paddle.

Barbara was told by a Jamaican pharmacist she used to work with that there was no way an American guy could make rice and peas this authentic tasting without help. 😁

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      To clarify, pigeon peas, a/k/a gandules, are the most authentic/traditional. Goya sells them dried in a bag. But any smallish pink or red bean will suffice. Pigeon peas do not look pink or red in the bag, but they develope a pink/reddish hue when cooked.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; February 17, 2020, 03:05 PM.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the clarification, I was just about to go look up what pigeon peas were
      I'll definitely have to give this a try.

Dan Deter Of liner to see your Spanish rice recipe. Mine, which we like a lot, status with a packaged product which I then doctor. But I would like to find a good scratch recipe for when the package isn't available (like at my vacation home.)

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post it into here. Might take me a couple of days to get to it.

Okay, so here's a simple one that is very good as a side. It's so simple I don't even have quantities for you aside from starting with a standard 1 cup rice recipe (jasmine, Arborio, Cal Rose, your call) or scale as you wish. Chop up cilantro to the fineness you prefer in a quantity that suits, add to hot, rested rice, squeeze in line juice to taste, toss. Done. Cilantro lime rice. We use it in meals such as seafood, or an accompaniment to chili verde or adovada.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Much like my Spanish/Mexican rice. I sometimes use a Spanish packet, sometimes not. I always add pico (usually homemade - has to have small cuts of peppers), cilantro, lime, some type of chili powder. Depending on what I want the consistency to be, I add extra butter or a bit of heavy cream. I brown the rice in the cream/butter before adding water. Then I add the other ingredients. You will not taste the cilantro in a manner your wife is used to. HouseHomey - what says you?

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I’ll eat your rice.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Made this lime-cilantro rice tonight with the "cook it like pasta" method. Put a spoonful on a plate, added some pork burnt ends crisped up in a skillet, topped it off with baby spinach, other greens, sweet peppers, avocado, and tomatoes. Spiced up with various salsas found in the fridge plus some sour cream. And a beer on the side. Tasty. I like how the lime in the rice added a nice flavor and aroma to the other foods, but wasn't overpowering.

Thanks for these rice recipes everyone. They all look good! Great posts!

Comment

I happened across this one yesterday. Haven't tried it, but it looks good and simple. It is instant pot recipe.

Cheesy Instant Pot Rice and Vegetables makes for a super tasty side dish recipe!  This rice recipe is a quick and simple addition to any meal!

Comment

A well known secret. I can’t make rice to save my life.

great thought for a thread. I’m gonna rip off this stuff.

Comment

Here's a simple one:

Buy a box of red, (or black), beans and rice and a 1 lb tube of your favorite breakfast sausage - mild or hot. I use Zataran's brand of rice. Do not use link sausage of any type unless you are willing to regrind it. Cook ~ 1/3 lb of the sausage in a pot big enough to cook the rice in and break the sausage up into very small pieces, (like for tacos). Cook the rice according to the package in the pot with the sausage

Please do not use more than 1/3 lb of the sausage because it will overpower the beans and rice.

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Zataran's and Mahatma rice dishes are both great for quick, lazy dinners. Add something like kielbasa or Portuguese sausage, and maybe some shrimp. Boom, dinner in a half hour.

Very simple way to make rice that goes with most foods - I cook it like pasta: 8 cups water. 1 cup rice. 1 Tbsp Kosher salt. 2 bay leaves. Add salt and bay leaves to water, bring to boil. Add rice and cook until al dente then stain and serve. I use this with Cajun recipes but it is good with nearly anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
            Very simple way to make rice that goes with most foods - I cook it like pasta: 8 cups water. 1 cup rice. 1 Tbsp Kosher salt. 2 bay leaves. Add salt and bay leaves to water, bring to boil. Add rice and cook until al dente then stain and serve. I use this with Cajun recipes but it is good with nearly anything.
            Wow, that's, um, different. Goes to show there's more than one way to reach your destination.

Recipe I learned near 40 years ago from a terrific Chinese cook that is simple/easy, and doesn't require any unitaskers or trendy gizmos. This is for most white rices, not the wild kind.

1 cup rice, rinse if you wish but not necessary
            1 3/4 cup liquid; water, or as I prefer, chicken stock for more rounded flavor
            Pour liquid into pot with rice, bring to boil uncovered, turn to low/simmer for 20 minutes covered (and leave the lid alone, no peeking). Then let it rest for 10 minutes off heat. Lift lid, fluff with implement and enjoy. Hasn't failed me in 4 decades.

Variations are; give the rice a light toasting in the pot before adding liquid. Also, could sauté some onions before adding rice and liquid. Still works the same.

Comment

I make a half assed version of veggie fried rice fairly often. Sometimes i do it with jasmine rice and sometimes with riced cauliflower...either works.

If its rice then i cook in excess water or stock until al dente, if its cauliflower then it goes straight into the pan or flat top. Cooked with butter then i add a frozen veggie mix of peas, corn, carrots and cook that up. Add soy sauce. I dont like it crispy per say but i smush it down so it gets a little crust. Then add an egg or two and mix it in. Delicious every time. You can season additionally however you please.

Comment

I haven't tried cooking rice like pasta, but it's on my to-do list. I've read several articles, and it sounds like a legit method. Here are a couple of articles about this method and why it works --

"...I don’t want to claim that this new technique is easier or faster. Cooking rice like pasta requires about the same amount of time and effort as the standard method.... In regards to taste, the finished rice is incredibly fluffy with a pleasant al dente bite. I was amazed at how separate the grains remained after cooking.... There’s no need to keep water ratios in mind! You can also cook any quantity of rice this way without worry of an exact water amount needed...." Source: https://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/20...ice-like-pasta

And another: https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/why...ice-like-pasta

The reason why I've not tried this method is because I don't cook rice very often. But my mouth has been watering as I've been reading the recipes y'all have been sharing, and I may have to change my tune a little bit. The lime cilantro rice and veggie fried rice both sound especially scrumptious.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I 100% agree with cooking rice like this. Unless you are making risotto i dont see a reason for trying to balance liquid/rice ratio. I have literally never done it and i dont see the benefit.

Have made this a couple times after having it at Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis.

Very very good. Former Senator Al Franken used to have it for visitors on some schedule, as MN is wild rice heaven.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here