Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Roll Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Roll Stick

I made spring rolls the other day and the rice paper is super tacky and sticky. It’s great for when you roll them and it holds together. It’s not so great when you have several of them and you cannot stack or place them on anything practical. They even stick to plates and can tear when you try to pull them up. Does anyone have any suggestions or methods/techniques to keep them from sticking so badly? I thought of dusting them in something but wasn’t sure if that would add too much flavor or a pasty texture.

My first thought is non-stick Reynolds Wrap. Another thought is try try one wrapper dusted with flour. Cook it and give it the old taste test.

Comment

Are these the wrappers that you soak briefly in water, add the fillings, and roll them up. And they're eaten that way without further cooking?

If so, it does take some practice to get them to not stick to everything. I had the best luck if I soaked one wrapper at a time in cool water, rather than soaking several together.

When you remove a wrapper from the water, don't try to drain every last drop of water off the wrapper. Also try to keep a light film of water on your work surface and your fingers. If you have a mister, that can be useful to spray a light mist of water where it's needed.

Also experiment with soaking the wrapper a longer than you have been. I know what the package says, but sometimes the wrapper needs a little bit longer soak so it's not quite so thirsty when you lay it down on the work surface.

Once you get the rolls made, let them sit for a bit, not touching each other, on a layer of plastic wrap. They never get to the point they're not sticky, but if you let them sit, the wrappers firm up a bit and don't want to stick together quite so much if they happen to touch.

Last but not least, work fast. The quicker you get the wrapper off the work surface and into a roll, the better. It helps to have a helper so the filling and wrapping goes as fast as possible.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        And I don't think it will ever be practical to stack spring rolls on top of each other without putting a layer of plastic wrap between layers. And even then they still try to stick. I get the best results not stacking them and ideally not touching or just barely touching.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        This is pretty much how I make 'em -- https://food52.com/blog/10924-how-to...-rolls-at-home

• snowswamp
        snowswamp commented
        Editing a comment
        This is exactly what I’m talking about. Thank you!

When you make the wrappers you slightly place them on a skillet for a few seconds, then 1 or 2 seconds on the other side, then stacke them ready to stuff. Ready made? What I might try is to is to slap them on a warm skillet ever so quickly, stack, then stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here