Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon fried rice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon fried rice.

In a thread that ajgrills started, I mentioned that I make a good fried rice and he asked for the recipe. So here it is - sorta...

I don't really use much of a recipe, but will try to put this together in a coherent way.

This recipe will feed two with some leftovers that my wife always seems to get to first.

One cup of rice cooked the day before and refrigerated overnight. White or brown rice will work, I normally use brown because my wife prefers that.

2 or 3 eggs depending on how much you like eggs

meat - I normally use about 1/2 lb chicken breast, but use what you like - or use several different meats. Smoked is fine if you have leftovers.
    shrimp - about 1/2 lb of uncooked shrimp. Small to medium are fine. If I have medium, I normally cut them in half crossways into bite sized pieces.

4 or 5 slices of thick sliced bacon cooked crisp and broken into 1/4' to 1/2 inch pieces - just not too fine or too course. You can use homemade, but I like the occasional crunch of the crisp bacon. I love bacon, but too much will overpower the dish.

1 small can of peas and carrots drained. This is mainly for looks, but use more or less as you would like.

1/2 medium onion coarsely diced

5 or 6 quarter sized slices of ginger

3 or 4 medium cloves of garlic minced

3 oz your favorite teriyaki sauce
    1 oz soy sauce
    1 tsp chili bean paste - that provides just a little heat as well as flavor. You can leave it out, or use more if you want it hot.
    1 oz white wine

A neutral flavored oil

Either a wok or a large saute or frying pan.

1 large bowl

Prep

As mentioned, cook the rice a day in advance. In a pinch, you can cook it the same day as long as you can refrigerate it until it's cold.

Mix the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, chili bean paste, (if using), and white wine together.

Cut the protein into bite sized pieces. Place raw chicken and/or beef in a zipper bag, (or bags if using more than one protein), and add just enough of the mixed marinade to coat. Try to not have any marinade in the bottom of the bag. It can burn or stick to the pan. I try to marinate in the morning, but an hour or two should be OK. I don't marinate the shrimp because it seems to absorb it too easily. Sometimes I do add some garlic powder or ginger powder in the bag.

Mise en place:

Get everything ready and in containers ready to dump in the wok, and keep the oil where you can reach it. Line it up in this order:

protein
    garlic
    ginger slices
    shrimp
    onions
    peas n carrots
    eggs
    rice
    remaining marinade

Time to cook:

Heat wok until a drop of water sizzles and add enough oil to keep the protein from sticking. Add protein and cook on med high to high depending on your stove, or how hot your charcoal is. Cook each protein separately. You want the meat to cook quickly. If using beef, cook to your desired doneness. Add garlic a minute or so before the meat is done. If you are using leftover meat, just heat it through and cook the garlic first. Put cooked meat in the large bowl.

Add a splash of oil and cook the ginger. Remove and discard and add the shrimp. Cook and add to the bowl when done.

Another splash of oil, and cook the onion. Add the peas n carrots and just heat through. Add to bowl

More oil and crack the eggs into the wok. Scramble as they cook. You can leave them lumpy or fine - your choice. Add to bowl.

Add oil to hot wok and add 1/2 the rice. Stir constantly and cook until hot. Add to bowl. Repeat with remaining rice. You can sub the bacon grease, but remember that it is strong flavored. I'd recommend just using a bit the first time . You can add more in the future if you would like.

Dump the bowl into the wok and add half the remaining marinade. Add the bacon. Stir until everything is heated through and taste. Add more marinade if necessary. If you run out of marinade, you can add more teriyaki sauce to get the taste the way you want it.

Serve.
    Last edited by RonB; October 29, 2019, 06:26 AM.

Excellent! Gotta try it.

Comment

On the ever growing list of must try.
      Thx

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post

One cup of uncooked rice cooked the day before and refrigerated overnight
        Semantics, and I get what you're saying but maybe it's the fact that I've been up 18 hrs already so things are funny to me.... how can rice cooked yesterday be uncooked?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I get your thought, and I agree - it could have been worded better. I will change it...

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea don't let our recipe editor see that one, he'll rap your knuckles with a yard stick

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I understood it to mean a measurement for a recipe followed by a cooking instruction. I only worked 12 hours today though. That was funny.

Sounds delicious. I'm kinda thinking two cups of rice with all those ingredients, but that's me. Also try some pureed chicken livers, gives it a dirty rice, Cajun twist !!

Comment

Thanks for posting this RonB! Looks great. Will try it soon. Wife's out of town this weekend so I'm spending the whole weekend cooking stuff to entertain myself.

Comment

So, I've read it twice. I don't get it. I think the best thing to do is for you to bring the stuff on over and walk me through it, at least once.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here