Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At Last--The "Truth" About Hard Boiled Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...cook eggs, adjusting the burner to maintain a vigorous boil, 6 minutes for a warm liquid yolk and firm whites, 8 1/2 minutes for a translucent, fudgy yolk, or 11 minutes for a yolk that is just barely firm all the way through.

"Drain eggs, then peel and eat immediately, or transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool naturally..."

Source: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...m-boiled-eggs?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the link

I usually agree with Kenji. But I am sticking with my Instant Pot eggs. So easy, and peel perfectly.

Comment

A couple days ago Alton Brown tweeted his modification to his 2009 method to a perfect hard boiled egg. It doesn't vary much from what Kenji says in his recipe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 3.38.44 AM.png
Views:	271
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	747724

Here's what Kenji says in step 2 of his recip:

"Gently lower eggs into the saucepan using a slotted spoon or a steamer basket. (It’s O.K. if the eggs are partly submerged on the bottom of the pot, or elevated on a steamer rack and not submerged at all.) Cover pan and cook eggs, adjusting the burner to maintain a vigorous boil, 6 minutes for a warm liquid yolk and firm whites, 8 1/2 minutes for a translucent, fudgy yolk, or 11 minutes for a yolk that is just barely firm all the way through."

I've tried the pressure cooker route but since I can't keep my pressure cooker on the kitchen counter full time I'm not going to bring that in from the garage and get it going just to hard boil a few eggs. And for those times when I need more than just a few peeled eggs my technique involves going to the grocery and buying the bags of pre-cooked and peeled eggs.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks you for that comparison. I’m constantly searching for the magic bullet.

I cook dozens of eggs. Probably 10-12 dozen in the last 30 days or so. Served with some Smoked salt, Harrisa and greens they are good.Attached is a photo I recently posted.

We use the oven (Rational Combi) and steam them. Lately smaller batches were done stove top.

My common denominator with them above is the room temp water, not the ice bath and peeling immediately. Rolling the egg to peel seems to help as well.

Full disclosure: I’m not allowed to peel eggs anymore. Boss says "Erik, what did you peel those with? A hammer?"

that bowl holds 3 dozen comfortably.

Edit: Peeling eggs completely sucks. Especially sucky when your in a hurry. 8 good ones out of ten is good odds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	54442268-6765-43E1-BCFB-36852F4A013F.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	747729
      Last edited by HouseHomey; September 25, 2019, 03:20 AM. Reason: Hard boiled eggs in bulk really sucks.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Peeling eggs is super easy when you use the instant pot. NEVER a problem!

Re: steaming eggs. When you use the pressure cooker, that is basically what you are doing, is steaming the eggs. I am fortunate that I can keep my IP on hand all the time.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        3 minutes in our IP.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to do 4 dozen in a little while. Cmon down my friend. My treat. 😃 I’ll throw in a burger.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in the 4 min IP egg camp.

I've had success using my sous vide. Set the temperature for 194 degrees, cook for 20 minutes. When finished plunge into an ice bath and then peel the eggs. It's easy and produces beautiful results.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never tried that one. I might give it a go.

I subscribe to the NY Times and they allow me to share articles so here is Kenji's article, no fee
      https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/dining/how-to-hard-boil-eggs.html?unlocked_article_code=1.L00.Y_LA.gWNAXdg AEiT6&smid=url-share

and here is the recipe based on his research
      If your goal is perfectly smooth, blemish-free boiled eggs that jump out of their shells every single time, I’ve got bad news: No technique in the world can promise that level of perfection But armed with data from scientific tests done with more than 90 testers and more than 700 boiled eggs, this technique for boiled eggs — technically steamed, as they cook in just an inch of water — will maximize your odds Fresher eggs will take slightly longer to peel, but they should peel just as cleanly as older eggs

If you are not familar with Kenji and his work, you'll find more of it in the Times and on SeriousEats.com. BTW, he also wrote the intro to my book...
      Last edited by Meathead; January 7, 2024, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, you know it is serious when there is like 26 pages on eggs in his book TheFood Lab

• John Henry
        John Henry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Meathead for making this available to us. You and all your team at AR are always so supportive of its members; thanks again!

I slowly lower my eggs into boiling water, and cook them for 15 minutes. Any less than that and Mrs won’t eat them (the yolk has to be all yellow, no orange); any more than that, and I won’t eat them (the green band around the yolk). I run tap water into the pot, a few fill’s worth, then peel under running water; it’s rare for me to have a problem peeling them.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        ssandy_561, (and Mosca), try taking a push pin and make a hole in the big end. That will prevent leaky or cracked eggs about 99% of the time.

• Carolyn
        Carolyn commented
        Editing a comment
        I put my eggs in the pot and cover them with water then bring to a rolling boil for less than a minute with the lid on, and then remove the from the burner. I let the eggs soak in the pot with the lid on. At 9 minutes they are very hard boiled but not green. I put the eggs in a bowl and cover them with faucet water. I peel them under the warm water in the bowl or under a stream of warm faucet water. Cold water makes that skin toughen up and stick to the eggs. I guess it shrinks.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB yeah, I’ve done that. It definitely works. I just don’t think about it until it’s time to actually make the eggs, and then I don’t know where a pin (ANY pin) is.

There are two things I almost never see mentioned when talking about boiling eggs. First is elevation which affects the boiling point of water. And, of course, the higher the elevation, the lower the boiling point and the slower eggs will cook. And second is the lid you use on the pot. The heavier the lid, the higher the boiling point of water, (think pressure cooker). A heavy enough lid could make the eggs cook faster.

Comment

I kind of like mine boiled in the sulfur water of a caldera- 😁

Name:	trozzo_221211_372.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1534724

Name:	trozzo_221211_437.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1534723

Black eggs, Owakudani, Hakone, Japan-​

Comment

As Thunder77 I use the IP. Use the wire trivet load as many as you can (20+) trying to stand them up. A little over a cup of water n hit the egg button. After the unit pressurizes it beeps after five min cook time. Natural release for another five then full release. Rinse a couple of exchanges of water then add a tray of cubes. Five more minutes and the eggs nearly fall out of the shell.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here