Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side dishes that don't require refrigeration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side dishes that don't require refrigeration

Long story short but I am cooking for 30 people on Sunday and my fridge stopped getting cold. I was planning on potato salad but since I don't have a fridge that is out. What other non-refrigerated sides do you like?

I will probably do some baked beans and maybe a vinegar slaw to go along with the pulled pork. The butts are safely in a cooler with ice so those are fine. Any other side dish ideas?

Potato chips.

Anything hot, corn, green beans, potato wedges, mashed potatoes.

Sorry about the fridge, I guess a trip to Fred's is in order.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb No trip to Fred's this time. Our hone warranty we got when we bought the house will cover it. A guy came to fix it today but apparently whatever he did didn't fix the issue. But they can't make it back out until Monday or Tuesday.

Corn on the cob could do the trick. I can always fire up another grill and roast it up.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to work with a caterer that made killer tri-tip and chicken. Sides were bagged salad and green beans from a can heated in a chafing dish. The meat was so good people would rave about the sides. Amazing how good meat makes everything else taste better.

Three bean salad, green beans, wax beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black beans, vinegar, oil. sugar, onions, a little garlic powder. and your all set.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I know math is not my specialty but I see more then 3 beans in that there 3 bean salad! lol that's a good one.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yepper my wife can't count very well. LOL

I'm thinking some collards might be in order. I would bet none of the people coming have ever had proper collards. Instead of ham hocks would there be any reason to not use the bones from the butts and a handful of the meat?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like some proper greens to me...
      I tend to always add some bacon, (an bacon grease), as well...often some onion, too

Cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Got some salted, malted chocolate chip cookie dough ready to go in the freezer.

Jalapeño Poppers are best at room temp.

Comment

Kale.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Ach!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        An plenty of it, good call, Brother!
        What's yer mailin address, ya ol reprobate?
        I kin make it RAIN Kale, there, lol!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here