Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelin' Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelin' Sides

The neighborhood 4th festivities are afoot. Our host is smoking some butts, so I wanted to contribute to the feast. Trying to come up with some good smoked/grilled sides that would travel well and not suffer from not being hot. Thought about some "Blasphemy Ribs" or wings, but not sure about how tasty they would be served cold. Love to get a few ideas here!

Smoked buffalo style wings?

Comment

smoked potato salad

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        Smoked buffalo style wings?
        I was thinking about some wings, but are they okay sitting in a bowl outside for a while?

Comment

Beans stay hot like napalm.

Comment

Grilled lemonade. I think there’s a recipe on the AR website.

Comment

I'd just do conventional coleslaw and potato salad. Serve the pulled pork on bread and do the coleslaw on top, meal in a bun.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D830AA9-16C7-459B-8D4C-94479D400EBE.png
Views:	174
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	701050 If you want to do ribs I suggest getting one of these coolers. It’s long enough to fit racks of ribs in without cutting them first. I have fit 6 racks in it before (Probably could have fit 8). And I’ve had it keep the ribs warm for 3+ hours before.

Comment

Just Bring beer!

Comment

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +100

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +ExtremeMultiLike

I would go for a small Butt for pulled pork in a faux cambro and use the pork to make creative appetizers or sides.

Comment

Cajun Potato salad is always a hit for me. It is a modified Paul Prudhomme recipe

Cajun Potato Salad

Yield: 10 side dish servings

Ingredients:
                  • 5 pounds red skinned potatoes, washed and cooked whole or cut to ¾” cubes
                  • 6 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
                  • ¼ cup onions, chopped
                  • ¼ cup celery, roughly chopped
                  • ¼ cup green peppers, chopped
                  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
                  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
                  • 2 teaspoons salt
                  • ¼ teaspoon white pepper
                  • Green Onion Dressing (recipe follows)

Preparation:
                  1. Place potatoes in a large pot; cover by 1"with salted water. Bring to a boil on high heat , cover and simmer on medium, stirring once or twice to ensure even cooking, until a thin-bladed paring knife inserted into the potato can be removed with no resistance, about 10 min. (if whole; 25 to 30 min. for medium potatoes and 15 to 20 min. for new potatoes).
                  2. Drain (peel if desired). If not cut up, cut potatoes (use a serrated knife if they have skins) into ¾” cubes while still warm, rinsing knife occasionally in warm water to remove gumminess.
                  3. In large bowl combine first 9 ingredients, add ½ of Green Onion Dressing and mix well. Add additional dressing as needed.
                  4. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Green Onion Salad Dressing

Yield: about 3 cups

Ingredients:
                  • 2 extra large egg, plus 2 yolk
                  • 2½ cups vegetable oil
                  • 1½ cup green onions, finely chopped
                  • 3 tablespoons Creole mustard (preferred) or brown mustard
                  • 2 tablespoon white vinegar
                  • ½ teaspoon salt
                  • ¼ teaspoon white pepper

Preparation:
                  1. Blend egg and egg yolk in a food processor or blender until frothy, about 2 minutes
                  2. With machine on, gradually add the oil in a thin stream.
                  3. When mixture is thick and creamy, add the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly.
                  4. Refrigerate until ready to use. (makes more than enough)

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You say "modified", how do? Is it a departure from Prudhomme or basically the same? I’m liking was I see, HUGE fan of KPaul !!!!

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @Trutman it is a slight departure. Doubled the Green Onion Dressing. Use red potatoes unpeeled instead of peeled white potatoes

potato Salad page 237 and dressing page 273 of hia Louisiana Kitchen cook book

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not that easy to make his recipes much better!

Smoked wings! That's my go-to for occasions like this.

Comment

So I decided to go with potato salad, which I had never made before. I used the "Mayo Mojo Potato Salad" from amazingribs and am very pleased with the result. It's nice to be able to spice it up even more simply by adding more of the Mayo Mojo. Kudos to Pitmaster Member Jeff Myers for the contribution!!

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good choice

There is nothing ya can't take. We always had a family reunion in August 80+ people. My family always wrapped hot dishes it newspaper and towel and made the four hr trip from Indiana to Ohio and they would still be hot. Newspaper is an excellent insulator for those youngster that haven't used it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not the digital kind right? 😀

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here