Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody eaten a Lawyers Wig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody eaten a Lawyers Wig?

Apparently not a good idea to be eaten if consuming alcohol.
    Find these growing sometimes on my lawn and assumed they were poisonous so just ripped them out and tossed.
    They seem to be sprouting more frequently so did some research and found they are edible.
    I love mushrooms so I am very tempted top give them a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2317.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	675536

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2323.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	675537

You better make damned sure of that. In my previous life as a medic we hauled a guy in that ate the wrong kind of shroom and he was dead in less than 12 hrs. ER Doc said that his liver basically turned into a liquid mush. I simply don't eat wild mushrooms any more.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; May 7, 2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      They not wild they're growing in my yard. 🤢

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I hate to be the "Downer Debbie", but it just isn't worth it in my book. We were chatting with that guy in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and everything about him was normal.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You're just a Downer Debbie, Debbie

Never have ... and likely never will. That said, here's a bit of seemingly credible information about them. Several major takeaways for me:

1. Do not harvest them after the gills begin to turn black.
    2. They go bad very quickly after harvesting ... and therefore must be prepared within two hours or so after picking.
    3. Be VERY, VERY careful when harvesting and consuming wild mushrooms of any sort!
    4. What CaptainMike said!!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Same site I read among a few others.
      Will admit am wary hence putting it out there. CaptainMike

The Forager Chef's guide to shaggy mane mushrooms: hunting, identifying, cooking and recipes to get the most from these delicious wild mushrooms.

Around here, they are more commonly called shaggy-mane, and they are generally regarded as being one of the safer mushrooms to eat. If you are going to eat wild mushrooms, it is of course important to learn the species you are after, but it's also important to familiarize yourself with any that will do great harm. There's a few common ones that are deadly, but its pretty easy to eliminate any thing vaguely similar once you know them.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reference

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here