Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making your own Rotel Tomatoes & Peppers (plus feeding David Crowder for the 3rd time!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making your own Rotel Tomatoes & Peppers (plus feeding David Crowder for the 3rd time!)

Hey Pit!

In case you are wondering why I'm not posting and interacting more...it's because I've never worked more hours in my life! My regular business takes time, and I'm wrapping up constructing projects there, and we're running the food truck and working on developing the restaurant location. Plus other fun stuff.

A couple of weeks ago, we got the opportunity to feed the Crowder Music band and 3 other bands who were in the Big Church Night Out tour. On their last visit, my friend Chef Kyle made his Crawfish Corn Maque Choux and they loved it. Kyle was out of town this time, so I took over that task. It's a fun recipe, and we made a big batch in a 10 gallon Jambalaya Pot. Those things are so cool! You all should get one. OK, maybe you should get a 5 gallon one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7441.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	586569

One of the recipe items is Rotel Tomatoes. At our restaurant, we're working at all our sides being home made. I find a lot of places buy potato salad, etc. from Sysco and serve that. It's good stuff. But not the same as the "made from scratch" vibe!

Which leads to my question: Should I try to make my own "Rotel Tomatoes"?

Just a quick search shows Tomatoes, Peppers, and some preservative/PH stabalizers, like lemon juice.

Have any of you made your own version? Maybe Meathead talks about this and I missed it?

We went with some delicious Brisket as the covering and protein cup. What do you think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7424.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	586568

Awesome you got to feed David and his group again!

Comment

I say go for it Paul. I'm sure it will be at least good, and very possibly better than the canned stuff.

Comment

With the tomatoes, that should be simple. Get a mess of plum tomatoes, blanch them and remove the skin. Get some peppers and char the skin off. Then saute them all in a sauce pan. Probably should add some salt. Thinking about my last Rotel, I'd say about two dozen tomatoes to one decent sized pepper.

Comment

Hey Paul good to hear from you bud, hope things are well over there neighbor !! Sorry can't be of help, I still buy the canned version. Sounds like Mosca might be onto something, sounds mighty close.

Comment

Rotel has some great flavor combos that are tough to put together fast. I like the lime and cilantro for mussels. That said, I take the time to fire roast Roma's for Italian dishes and other things that are simpler when I have the grills in work for longer meals.

So what am I saying? If you're doing a long-cook meal, the Toms should be all yours. If you're doing a short-short - grab Rotels or even better organic equivalents without the asbestos can lining.

Comment

Cookin’ For Crowder! Nice!!! Love me some Crowder!!! Also, homemade is almost always best...if you take the time to make it your best!

Comment

• PBCDad
                PBCDad commented
                Editing a comment
                Crowder chowder!

I understand the concept, but: You are working so many hours as it is, and not just on the food. Rotel makes a fine product everyone already likes. Doing it homemade is just adding sourcing, handling and prep hours to an already packed workload. Is the homemade label worth it for this one product? Only you can answer that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here