Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Corn

Looking for favorite techniques here. Not looking for Mexican Street corn. But maybe something w/ just a little extra flavor. Also looking for the flavor of that char, but don't what to see my kernels shrivel up. Thoughts?

What kind of cooker are you planning on using?

Comment

• HermanGerman
      HermanGerman commented
      Editing a comment
      Just a gas grill. Though could go bge as well

I do mine a little differently. I open up the ear enough to allow me to cut out the corn. I clean up the ear and soak the husk in water. I then wrap it back together with some butter, put it in foil and then cook it for 30 min. on the grill. Much easier to eat it after it is done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	335292
    Corn cut out of the husk.

Name:	IMG_0410.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	335293

Husk soaking in water

Name:	IMG_0409.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	335294

ear cleaned of silk, buttered up and ready to wrap (I fold as much of the husk over as I can)

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	335295

wrapped and ready for the grill

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	335296

What's left when you pull the corn out. (didn't stop to take a pic before we ate them)

This is more like steaming, with the husk taste. I often get a litte browning of the corn as well.

Comment

Corn. Grill. That's how I do it.

Comment

Brushed with tarragon butter to a medium char.

Comment

I clean it then throw in a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes, take it off and finish over the coals using direct heat to get a nice char. I find that the initial boil in water brings the sugar out from the inside making it sweeter. The boil is short, keeping the kernels nice and tight.

Comment

I smear it with a mixture of butter, garlic, salt and parsley. Place the ears on the side of the grill (or on the Grill Grate if using my gasser), turn them often until I have a slight charring on several of the kernals. They come out firm, not dryed and oh so good.

Comment

I soak my corn in beer for 3 or so hours. Keep the husks on then grill for 10 minutes or so turning every 2 minutes or so. Then I peel back the husk and silk, dip it in butter and serve it with smoked salt

Comment

Buter salt and wrap in foil. indirect heat for a bit, then when they are close to being done, unwrap and direct grill for a little char.

Comment

I remove the silk, leave the husk on, and then throw them on the grill. Turn them a few times, and when the husks are starting to char I know they are done. I don't add anything so my guests can butter/salt to their hearts content. (Plus I prefer my corn without anything.)

I've also done this in the oven, not as flavorful, but still super-easy way to cook the corn.

Comment

Mustard! I often coat mine in a thin layer of mustard. It's oh, so good!

Comment

I tried not to cook corn on the grill, because it never turned out good.In foil or in husk, It either just got warm or burnt, not much in between. I found the CoC recipe here and gave it a shot. I had no tarragon, so I added a little cajun seasoning to the butter. I cooked them on grill mats over medium heat (mid range on the knob) for 20 minutes, turning as directed. I turned up the heat and removed them from the grill mats and did a quick "reverse sear" kinda thing to get a mild char on the outside. Best corn I ever cooked .. or ate. I also recently found the "right" way to shuck corn. Cut the fat end off and the husks and silks come off in one easy motion.

Comment

• JCGrill
                        JCGrill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup, just saw that trick yesterday on TV. Cut off the fat end and squeeze the skinny end.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here