Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pate?

I came across this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...agne-em-350966 and now I'm obsessing over making some pate.

Has anyone done this or have a great recipe they can share? Has anyone ever made a chicken liver version?
    The next question of course is has anyone tried it on a smoker?

I'm intrigued and I will be doing it this coming weekend for NFL divisional games.

To quote Ace Ventura, "Stuff probably looks better on the way out, uh?"

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^ what he said!

I make chicken liver pate every year around the Holidays. It's very easy and delicious. Basically blend up the livers w some spices and butter, pour them into ramekins and cook in a water bath. I'll get back to you with the exact recipe.

Comment

Pate? That is a swap meet in Texas

Comment

bbqoaf don't listen to these Philistines! Pate is delicious.
        This recipe is from Balthazar -the best French bistro in NYC

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3124.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	261423Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3125.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	261424
        Last edited by JCBBQ; January 9, 2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I use bourbon instead of cognac and I just serve in the ramekin.

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I was going to use brandy to go easier on the wallet. Cool recipe.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqoaf, It's soooo easy.

Pate is amazingly good as well as amazingly expensive when bought as it is truly a gourmet product. I have wanted to try and make some for a long time so I am interested in your journey.

Comment

It's not a true mousse consistency, but I do this if I'm needing a liver fix. Clean a container of chicken livers, removing fibers and separating "lobes" remove anything that doesn't look right, sometimes kidneys or some other round redder looking organ gets in there. Arrange in singlish layer in a lightly buttered foil pan. Season with salt and pepper. I'll usually cook on the BGE after grilling a steak, so I'll put the pan of livers on top of the Grill Grates and let cook. Flip once if you want (it's not necessary). I put some pecan pellets in the valleys of the Grill Grates for flavor. When livers are done, let cool. Remove more of membrane and semi crumble. Add mayo to crumbled livers, add more seasoning if necessary. Finely minced sweet onion is a nice add too. A good finish to this is to spread some softened cream cheese on a sheet of waxed paper (about 4" x 6"). Put a liver "log" in the center and pull up sides to give liver a white crust. This slices nicely for presentation on a cracker with a squirt of spicy brown mustard on top. If you have access to duck liver it's over the top done this way.

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Great advice, thanks!

This is an easy as all get out thing to do sous vide.
          This recipe could have many steps of simplification in the ingredient list, to be really easy to do. Like similar process, just with the Balthazar ingredient list.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.
          Last edited by Potkettleblack; January 9, 2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

If'n you're looking to make real pate: http://www.fossilfarms.com/duck-meat...ey-foie-gras-a

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              All recipes presented above are valid pates. Foie gras is not what makes a terrine a pate.

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack My bad--poor choice of words. I just don't like stronger livers like calves, pork, and chicken (chicken is barely tolerable). Duck and goose liver, OTOH--HEAVEN!

bbqoaf, It has been Years but I have made Chicken Liver Pate'! It makes a Great Appetizer or Buffet Item serve with Herb, Garlic or ? Crackers? Also with Garlic Toast Rusks and Cream Cheese! I will try to find my recipe and I will get it to You!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I've done the ChefSteps pate before, and it is very simple and very good. The one thing I would caution on is to let the jars sit out of the water bath for 30-45 minutes before you put them in the ice bath. I had two jars crack because of the cold shock, and it resulted in a fatty watery mess, with pieces of glass in the ice bath.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Always be careful with glass jars and Sous vide. I’ve cracked a few going the other way, into the bath, and trust, getting egg custard out of your IC is not fun.

Good morning from the great state of Wisconsin! We are right in the middle of our deer season and I have a beautiful venison liver ready for my first attempt at liver mousse, pate.....call it what you will. I am using a recipe from one of my favorite wild game cook books "The Meateater". I would like to smoke it though and I am hoping someone on this site has tried smoking pate. If not I suppose I will just smoke the liver to cook it and then follow the rest of the recipe. I'm just not sure if that's the way or if I make it and then apply a cold or low temp smoke to the finished product.
              If you are not familiar with Nueskes, they are a WI smoked meat company. They make a smoked liver pate that is the very greatest thing you have ever put on a cracker. That's my plan. If you've ever tried it I would love some advice. If not, I'll let you know if it works! Thanks!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I think either way would be valid. I think I would go the cold smoke after form route, for greater smoke permeability, but depends on how much smoke you want to apply.

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                I am jealous, venison liver is awesome, and so is Nueske's.

I made this one last year, and it was amazing: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pate_pate_maison/
              I plan on doing it again for Christmas.

For years, we have just been frying up some chicken livers, adding onion, garlic, bourbon, pepper, maybe a small amount of cream cheese (depending on who actually was making it), parsley, worcester, splash of tabasco, whatever else sounded good, and running through the food processor. Always came out good.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats kind of the way i do it. I usually make rabbit for xmas dinner and always use the livers for a small app pate. So good.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here