Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cranberry Orange Fruit Relish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cranberry Orange Fruit Relish

This is a great side dish my family has been doing for over 25 years now. It works equally well with ham and turkey. I haven't tried it with duck, but I bet it would work there too. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to suit.

Ingredients:
    1 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries
    1 large apple, cored and chopped (use a sweet variety of apple)
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 can of pineapple chunks (20 oz)
    1 orange, seeded and sectioned, or 1 can mandarin oranges 15 oz
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
    optional: cinnamon, nutmeg

Method:
    Dump the cranberries in a colander, and weed out any bad ones, and remove any stems. Rinse well. Drain the pineapple, and reserve the juice. In a large non-reactive pot, combine the cranberries, sugar, and orange juice. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer until the cranberries pop. Remove from heat, and stir in raisins, apple, and pineapple. If you are using the mandarin oranges, gently fold in at this time. Try to keep as many whole sections as you can. Let stand 5-10 minutes. If too thick, add some of the reserved pineapple juice. Taste and adjust sugar as desired. I would be cautious of adding too much sugar at once, because as the relish sits, it draws more sugar out of the fruits.
    I make this a day in advance to allow the flavors to mix and bloom. Try to let it refrigerate at least overnight. Enjoy!

Note: the great thing about this recipe is that it is very variable. Like pears? Go ahead and add one! More or less sugar? You decide. To spice or not to spice is up to you. We usually make it with just the fruit, and it is awesome. This will probably be more tart than most cranberry dishes you are used to. So adjust however you like. If you are watching your sugar, this works well with Stevia also.

I hope you try it, and post any praise/criticism.

Merry Christmas 🎄!! ​​​​​
    Last edited by Thunder77; December 24, 2016, 05:50 PM. Reason: contemt

Sweetness!!

Comment

Sounds wonderful!

Comment

Thanks for the share

Comment

1-Bag cranberries chopped up in food processor
          1- Apple grated into the ground berries
          1- Orange supremed and added to the berries (squeeze the juice into them too)
          1/2 cup chopped pecans stirred in
          1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar stirred in

Refrigerate and stir occasionally. Great the next day too.

Comment

I like to use the Asian Pears which are more and more accessible these days.

Comment

Thanx.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here