Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABTs

Atomic buffalo turds. I never made these before, and they were kind of a PITA until I got a rhythm going on the wrapping. Did 'em on the kettle indirect at 250ish, that was too low and 325 is probably more like it. They took about 3 hours at 250, I was expecting 2. Stuffed half with pulled pork and the other half with little smokies, both are good but I like the snap of the smokies better. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	217649

Click image for larger version

Views:	166
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	217650

Don't forget the rubber gloves!

Views:	148
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	217651

Thats 2:1 ratio of cream cheese to cheddar.

Views:	140
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	217652

Stuff and wrap Click image for larger version

Views:	142
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	217653 Click image for larger version

Views:	147
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	217654

Views:	116
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	217655 Click image for larger version

Views:	151
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	217656

At at this point, the light is gone, I got no photos of the finished. One question, can you eat these hot or cold? There will be leftovers!

I do them with cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, mini meatballs or little smokies wrap in bacon and sprinkle some rub on them. Yum Yum...I love ABT's. Looks good Mosca

Comment

ABTs are on open canvas. Just now I think I'll try some with cottage cheese for the main stuffing. All you gotta do is cook them long enough til the bacon is where you like it.

Comment

How do they hold up the next day?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't answer that Mosca bc I never have any left the next day

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          I do them with dove breast halves. They are just fine cold!

I think the answer just might be, yes.

Comment

WOW, Mosca you made a TON of them!!

I've enjoyed leftovers warmed and cold. It's what's for breakfast.

Comment

I just did a new batch, and a couple notes.

They are MUCH better when done at 350* for about 90 minutes, and without any added smoke. Actually they were probably done at 60 minutes, but I wanted to be sure and I'm still learning stuff. (For all that I post here, on a 1-10 scale I think I'm about a 4 or 5.) The bacon crisps up really nicely, and the charcoal alone gives it enough of a mild smokiness. The first batch was delicious, the second is excellent and dare I say, a bit sublime even.
            Attached Files

Comment

Mosca I have to kindly disagreed with you. I like leaving them in the smoker @250/275 for 2 hrs or until the bacon crisp up and got to have smoke.

Comment

These are awesome. I am planning on making a whole bunch of these for my Ryder Cup party at the end of the month. (among a lot of other things)

Comment

Lots of football party's in the near future, thanks for a great idea.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
                    ribeyeguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was just thinking the same thing, they'd be perfect at halftime.

ABTs are awesome with a half a dove breast wrapped in each one if you have some on hand. Works well with teal also! Yummm!

Comment

• Dale Case
                    Dale Case commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We make them with Dove too !!

I make these and then wrap them in ground sausage instead of bacon, some people call this an Armadillo Egg or something similar. I season the sausage with some Tony Chachere's, maybe some smoked paprika or something. I use cream cheese mixed with grated pepper jack and bacon bits inside, then any leftovers are awesome sliced into medallions, microwaved thrown in a tortilla with some shredded cheese (good pepper jack if you can find it, Mexican blend if not) the next day for a different take on a fajita. And I mean AWESOME!

I also usually do two types - one that is deveined and deseeded for the wimps attending the 'que, and the others I leave the seeds and veins in and let the stem hang out from the sausage ball - so everyone is forewarned which are hot and which are not!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here