Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorites side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bbqoaf try this slaw.

jalapeño-lime Slaw

Ingredients

1/3 cup fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
    4 jalapeño peppers, halved crosswise
    Preparation

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add onion, cilantro, and coleslaw. Thinly slice 1 jalapeño half crosswise (keeping seeds), and remove seeds from remaining jalapeño halves. Cut the remaining halves into thin crosswise slices. Add the jalapeños to onion mixture, and toss well to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Comment

• Tim Clark
      Tim Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!!

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds great, thanks.

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet that looks really beautiful!

Even though I'm from the north I love cornbread. That ranks right up there with Mac 'n Cheese.

Comment

Dude I'm from the north and agree 100%. I make cornbread at least once a week. Well me and jiffy mix

Comment

Lol, when it comes to cornbread I'm a jiffy mix guy too. Might not be authentic but awfully tasty.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not complaining about Jiffy mix! love me some cornbread and butter!

Click image for larger version

Name:	mac1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	165718 Click image for larger version

Name:	mac2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	165719 Click image for larger version

Name:	mac3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	165720

Here is the last mac and cheese you'll ever need. This gets requested for every cookout I do or get-together I'm invited too.

* 3 pounds of elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
        * 2-pound loaf of Velveeta cheese
        * A few pounds leftover BBQ meat (tri tip, brisket, beef tenderloin, pork loin, whatever you like) or cooked bacon
        * 4 cups chopped onion
        * 8 ounces blue cheese
        * 4 ounces (1 stick) butter
        * 2 cups milk
        * 1/2 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce
        * 1 pound (or more, whatever you want) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
        * 2 cups celery, sliced thin
        * 1 cup plain yogurt
        Directions
        1. Cook macaroni al dente. Drain, then rinse with cold water. Cut meat into bite size pieces.
        2. In large pot, melt butter. When foaming stops, add onions. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until translucent and browning, 10 to 15 minutes. Do not burn.
        3. Add hot sauce, stirring until sauce evaporates into onions, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
        4. Add milk, yogurt and Velveeta torn in chunks. Stir steadily as Velveeta melts into liquid. (Do not allow to boil, or it will burn on the bottom of the pot.)
        5. Set oven between 450 and 500 degrees. Spread cooked macaroni in standard half-sheet sized foil catering pan. Scatter celery and meat over the macaroni, add blue cheese. Add cheese sauce and stir to combine everything evenly. Smooth out the mixture.
        6. Top with shredded cheddar and place pan in preheated oven. Bake until brown and bubbly, 20 to 30 minutes. Can be covered with heavy foil and kept warm in a cooler, stuffed with crumpled newspaper as insulation, for up to four hours.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I still can't get over this post!!!

• BBQ'd_Nuke
          BBQ'd_Nuke commented
          Editing a comment
          So go ahead and make it already, and enjoy!!! Great main course for any leftovers.

Blue box mac and cheese with homemade salsa mixed in!

Comment

cold beer

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            What's your favorite beer/s?

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Brazilian, Xingu with BBQ

Originally posted by Nate View Post
          Just throwing this out there... PICKLE .... or do you consider that a condiment?

second choice would probably be mac'n'cheese
          Definitely pickles. Any kind of pickles...pickled okra, pickled beets, pickled asparagus for the bloody Marys, pickled eggs with pastrami for a quick breakfast.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            We use a fajita recipe that calls for pickled onions. All you do is marinate red onions in fresh squeezed lime juice - very goooood.

I like ALL of the normal side dishes that are common in BBQ. However recently I've been playing with a spicy Etoufee sauce. I originally tried it to serve with large jumbo shrimp over rice. I liked it so well I made the sauce to add to just rice and served it to friends that I BBQ for often, last weekend. I smoked a Prime grade brisket for them.

Those people are used to me serving them really tasty BBQ and all the conversation during dinner was about how fantastic the spicy rice was. It's easy to make while your rice is cooking. I make my rice with chicken stock, not water.

Here's the recipe for the Efoutee sauce. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236320/...rimp-etouffee/

Typing this post made me hungry for Shrimp Etoufee and I had the ingredients so I made some.👍
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Breadhead; May 11, 2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Mickeylou5
            Mickeylou5 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is right up my alley!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Whip some up Guest ... If you like Cajun spicy this is a nice and easy recipe. Just increase/decrease the quality of spices to control the heat to your desired preference.

Ranch Style Beans are a staple in our house. Still remember when the label used to say "Husband Pleasin'" before the PC marketing Nazis got a hold of them.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen! With brisket

For me, nothing beats beans that have been sitting in the bottom of the smoker collecting the drippings from the meat for hours.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            AMEN

And the whiskey baked beans in the "Tested Recipes" section are GREAT!

Vidalia Onion slices

Comment

Caramelized onions on everything...👍

Comment

beans doctored up with onion, garlic, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper, some hamburger or sausage or both, maybe some green peppers or jalapeno's laying in a cast iron pan under a brisket smoking low and slow.

Comment

Some grilled veg. Maybe salad--a little vinegar to cut the fat. A hunk of baguette to mop up the sauce on my plate. I'm actually indifferent to most traditional barbecue sides, as a lot of them are kind of heavy in their own right, and I don't want to waste the internal real estate. Anyone have any go-to nontraditional sides to share?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here