Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make Hard Boiled Eggs in Oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make Hard Boiled Eggs in Oven!

#1 discovered this on "The Kitchen" i.e., the show with the Cheer leading Squad . More details are probably on Food Network. This will become the new method for doing hard boiled eggs!

1. Set oven @ 325.

2. Place eggs in muffin tin.

3. Bake undisturbed for 30 minutes.

4. "Shock" eggs in ice water bath for 10 minutes.

5. Easy to peel and Check this Out!

-- Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hard_Boiled_Eggs.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	155716

"Hard to Believe, but True!" - David Letterman
    Last edited by Medusa; April 10, 2016, 06:26 AM.

That's interesting. But I do have a question: how is this better than putting them in boiling water, then turning the heat off and waiting 12 minutes? Sorry that my questioning side takes something away from the cool factor, but I don't see any benefit in the extra 28 minutes.

Comment

We tried the oven method and it was indeed better ... albeit much more time consuming ... than boiling (no funky-looking olive drab yolks). We've since switched to steaming in a pressure cooker which yields even better and easier-to-peel results in a bit less time way up here at 6000+ ft. msl.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you give us the details on the pressure cooker method? TIA.

George

"Can you give us details on the pressure cooker method?"

Sure! FWIW, I use a stove top pressure cooker but the same method (from what I've read) applies to electrics.
      1. Use the steamer basket.
      2. Put only enough water in the cooker to keep the steamer basket "high and dry" (4 cups in mine).
      3. Place eggs in the steamer basket. FYI, I've read a lot of nonsense about making silly "egg holders" out of bottle caps ... totally unnecessary in my experience.
      4. Secure the pressure cooker lid and start heating things up.
      5. When the cooker reaches LOW pressure, adjust the heat to maintain low pressure and start the timer.
      6. Steam for 6 minutes.
      7. At 6 minutes, remove the heat and release the pressure using the fast method.
      8. When it's safe to do so, remove the lid and move the eggs into an ice water bath for at least 10 minutes.
      9. Peel and eat.
      A couple of notes:
      1. Do not use HIGH pressure (haven't tried it and don't want to even imagine the clean up).
      2. The pressure cooker method is purportedly at its best for fresh eggs that might otherwise be very hard to peel cleanly.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; April 10, 2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

I get a pot of water to a full rolling boil. Add the eggs and turn off the heat, cover the pot and leave it on the burner. 12 minutes. When the timer goes off, dump the hot water and add cold water.

I can't say that this is better than the other two methods described because I haven't tried them, but because the timing is right the yolks are nice and yellow and soft.

MBMorgan, Mrs Mosca boils those suckers until the water is almost gone, then adds more water and boils them just a little bit more. Because she is Mrs Mosca, I eat them with a smile, if not exactly gusto!

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand completely! My DW is the egg aficionado around here ... but because I have a tendency to eat them too, I just had to step in with the pressure cooker and try to save those poor eggs (and me) from a similar fate .

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a thread listing favorite quote, sayings, etc. You can "eat it, or wear it" - LOL!

I love steaming eggs in my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. I use the 6/6/6 method: 6 minutes under steam (Low Pressure setting)/6 minutes rest in the pot before releasing the pressure/6 minutes in ice bath. It works so well that the shells come off the eggs in 2 halves, most of the time. Sooo much easier to peel! This method is very close to that which MBMorgan uses. The eggs are perfect every time.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; April 11, 2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

#1 responds...

a. The baked eggs peel easier

b. The yolks are a much prettier yellow as mentioned earlier.

MBMorgan , the pressure cooker method sounds cool!

-- Ed

Comment

I'm a Sous Vide egg guy...👍

My Modernist Cuisine books have a very extensive article about poaching and hard boiling eggs. They have 14 different high quality pictures of how eggs look after cooking in the SV bath tub at 14 different temperatures. It basically gives you the ability to custom cook your eggs to achive the exact texture of both the whites and yolks just the way you want them.

You can cook 2 eggs or 2 dozen eggs and get the the exact results you were trying to achive.

Poached eggs SV style, with the shell on.👍
          Attached Files

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I'm really hungry

We have an egg cooker. Punch a small hole in the fat end of the egg. Add the measured water. Put the lid on, and it beeps when they are done. Perfect peel every time and no overcooked yokes. To each their own. My wife does them, so I'm loving it.

Comment

I haven't hard boiled an egg since the days when we would dye them so the Easter Bunny could come by and hide them for our daughter. She's now grown up and is on her own so the Bunny just skips (hops) right past our house, rotten bastard. Are there really that many new ways to hard boil an egg?

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              lol...@ribeyeguy I don't know how a hard boil egg can be better than another hard boil egg no matter how it's boiled

I've done them in the smoker for years. The shell will turn brown--the egg will be brown when peeled. NO smoke flavor penetrates the egg--only color. Kind of odd.

Comment

I told my wife about this trick yesterday so she tried and it worked out pretty good. Since she can't stand the smell of bacon, she normally bakes it for about 30 minutes. She tossed them both in the oven and they all turned out great.

Comment

Craigar I cook my bacon on a large rimmed sheet pan outside on my gasser. I line the rimmed sheet pan with one layer of heavy duty foil. Then I take a second piece of foil the same size as the rimmed sheet pan and crumple it gently. Next I smooth out that crumpled piece and lay it on the bottom of the rimmed pan. I then place the bacon on the crumpled foil making sure the strips don't touch each other. Then I fire up my gasser and put the bacon in right away while the gasser is warming. I keep the final gasser temp at around 400 degrees. Depending on the thickness of the bacon and the degree of doneness you like, the bacon is ready in 20 to 40 minutes. I keep a close eye on it all through the cook because it can go from perfect to overcooked in a New York minute.

When the pan is cool, I pour off the bacon grease into a container and store, covered, in the fridge for future use or pour it into a skillet immediately to fry up the eggs.

Kathryn

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Kathryn for the reminder to cook breakfast outside. I think when I fire up the 26 w/SnS I will toss some apple chunks on to give the bacon a little extra smoke.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here