Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred wood for smoked Mac n cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred wood for smoked Mac n cheese?

Attempting smoked Mac n cheese for the first time tonight. Weber kettle with KBB. Recommendations for best smoking wood for Mac n cheese? Using chunks. Have hickory, apple, mesquite, and pecan. I’m thinking pecan because it’s a lighter/neutral smoke. Thoughts?

I think pecan would be an excellent choice....I think it would go really well with the creaminess of the cheese.

Comment

Traeger Premium Pellets Maple, Hickory, Cheery blend.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        He was not asking to buy a new grill... just about smoking wood.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris
        I think you understand what you thought I posted but I am not sure what you read is not what I meant.
        The wood I use is Traeger Premium Pellets Maple, Hickory, Cheery blend.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; August 1, 2022, 09:51 AM.

Maple or fruit wood. You want a light smoke, pasta really absorbs it.

Comment

Of those choices, I would go with apple or pecan. When in doubt, I grab some pecan or oak.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Pecan is my favorite for just about everything. Such a great smell while smoking.

I have used apple and pecan. Both came out great. Trick is to not over smoke it.

Comment

Of the four options you gave I’d go pecan or apple. Both are significantly lighter in smoke profile than the other two. That being said, I smoke everything with oak.

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. Used pecan. Good smoke flavor. Followed Cliff Cantwell’s recipe on the free site. Overall, not crazy about it. It was dry. The pasta soaked up a good bit of the sauce before I put it on the grill. Maybe I didn’t measure the pasta correctly? I prefer a creamier/saucier Mac n cheese (think Panera consistency). Good flavor, not the consistency I like.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Measuring against panera for mac n cheese is a high bar, lol.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I had similar results, i.e. with the results being on the dry side, and feel this is one of the recipes on the free side of AR that could use some work.

Check the PM I sent you for a link to a recipe I've been using for several years that seems to work out great for me every time I make it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here