Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cream Cheese Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, sadly, I forgot to take any pictures with the Tabasco pepper jelly (red) or Tabasco Jalapeño jelly (green) on them for the final presentation. This happened:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9205.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1253029

The blocks split open, possibly because I moved the skillet to the upper rack of the kamado, so that I could put my Conecuh sausage on the bottom rack (I didn't want it dripping on the cheese!).

Regardless, the pepper jelly hid the split, and these were a BIG hit. Lot's of compliments. Personally, I could not believe how smokey the cream cheese was after 2 hours.

My wife left during the meeting, and I think was disappointed we did not have any left for her to try, haha. The guys scarfed down the crackers, smoked cheeses and pepper jelly, and several pounds of smoked sausages....

I told her I will do the smoked cream cheese again the next time we have someone over.

On the plus side, this was the first time we've had anyone other than the kids over to the house, with the finally finished kitchen/den renovation. The fact it was a dozen guys drinking and judging home-brew beers of all sorts of styles probably means they were less critical of things than maybe some of my wife's friends would have been, haha...

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what the crosshatching is for,

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that looks good. I need to try that. The pepper jelly sounds incredible too.

Regardless of the splits, it sounds as though they ate good. I'm going to try this when our kids come to visit in another couple of weeks--smoked cream cheese and also that blooming bologna recipe.

Kathryn

Comment

I'm wondering if it was due to the CI skillet ? did they get too hot, even though it was such a low temp? Try them on a Frog-mat type thing on an upper shelf next time, with the suggested crosshatching?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know - I suspect more the lack of cross hatching caused the issue.

Here are pics from one of the times I did this. I do not recommend placing in a cast iron pan because it may get too hot over the 2-3 hours you have them on the smoker. Could cause splitting and/or melting. Click image for larger version  Name:	7pLhEOecG970YvRffVD7766mEJOMkG3ZcIKLhNUtSGr3JgrThsSv843mfy0LO5mAb3cHu0UG9-Y07np1CNPm2trPUnzSQvSvn_TMzqVBIvxrQ2Xvq90cn7suO3iHk45JFhRj6dWu2tL6-XMGeU0fnoCWaGCi1__X3flFle5mSwMDvCXANapUxrgb3rTXSE_SmZYtdHMzTFYyoJEG42hBVWyMZmI_c6JorCtj_u_7vL2H_sYby595Mcg1hvTCd4I Views:	0 Size:	425.3 KB ID:	1255130
      Attached Files
      Last edited by SmokingSteve; July 15, 2022, 08:38 PM. Reason: Bottom pic was my first effort, top pic was my second. There are lots of good YT videos on how to do smoked cream cheese.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here