Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak Side Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak Side Dish

Please help settle a very important disagreement between my wife and I...

I think mashed potatoes and gravy goes perfect with high-end steaks (ribeyes and strips).

My wife is appalled by that, and says that a properly baked potato is the perfect steak side dish.

What do the Brethren say? Mashed potatoes and gravy, or baked potato?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; December 11, 2021, 08:30 PM.

I think both are great sides but I'll choose anything with gravy any day.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      My Brother has th Right of it, an was obviously raised up, proper-like!

I'll takes me BOTH, but gravy is a Must!!!

Gravy is a Major Food Group, to many us, an all they was to fill th empty corners of yer stomach, growin up...

If'n Pa comes home with some tree rats, mebbe even a rabbit, then WOOHOO! We Feast, least fer tonight!

Otherwise, Gravy n taters, gray n biscuits, gravy an cornbread, gravy an rice, gravy an some doctored up Purina dog food...

Gravy kinda guy!

Murricah!!!

IMHO Mashed Potato and Gravy go with Roast Beef. Steak and Baked Potato are like peas and carrots.

Comment

There’s always steak frites to muddy the argument. Maybe that’s your compromise !!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB2B9BCF-F1A4-467A-919D-B16D34300EEB.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1140905

Comment

With steak? Sorry Dude. Gotta be a baker.

Comment

Just have more steak.

Comment

I gotta vote for baked potato or fries.

Comment

Steak and a baked potato. If you insist on mashed with your steak, skip the gravy and go with extra butter. In my view, gravy doesn’t belong on a plate with a decent steak.

Comment

Sorry man, I am all for mashed potatoes and butter with a steak but you lost me with gravy. In my opinion I want something that complements the steaks flavor not cover it and gravy covers the flavor. I understand the argument for a baked potato it is a very compartmentalize side dish, you won't have much spill over onto that delicious steak. I just like baked potatoes every once and a while. So I guess in the end I don't really agree with either of you. I want mashed potatoes with a glob of butter in the middle.

Comment

There is no wrong answer here. Steak and a well executed mashed pertaters and gravy is perfectly fine. In fact, a good mushroom gravy is hard to beat. I like to mix the steak juices with the gravy, oh yeah! And also, a fully loaded baked potato is just as awesome. The star here should be the steak, closely followed by the tater in either manner you desire.
                  Last edited by Panhead John; December 11, 2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Panhead John, too logical, no argument from me.

Oh my. Baked potatoes are, to my mind "traditional". But mashed potatoes are another great option, especially if you put some of the juice on them!

Artichokes go very well with steak. They make certain things taste weird, but IMHO that same property enhances beef.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Artichokes, and Artichoke Heart salad. Been some time but thank you for the reminder. Going on shopping list.

I will say a good peppercorn sauce is great on steak but that is a separate question.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try Elton's BBQ Whisky Pepper Sauce...

PLS, report back, with yer results

• Elton's BBQ
                    Elton's BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yessire Mr. Bones 👍

Baked with a side of asparagus.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    works jus fine, fer me!

Wouldn't mind me no mashers an beef gravy, as a side, though
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 12, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Baked, mashed, fried... don't matter to me. I don't think any particular sides are too 'low-brow' for any particular mains.

I had a braised beef short rib the other night, it was sitting on a bed of a potato puree, I found it quite good. This was a 'fancy' dish, you know, with long decorative slivers of heritage carrots and topped with pea shoots, side of broiled Brussels sprouts with bacon, parsley sprinkled over everything.... it was pretty. And pretty tasty. Glad I didn't pay for it, I bet it was well over $30. I'd been disappointed too many times at this place ordering steak, so I decided to try the 'special' braised short rib and it was good.

Point is, even at fancy 'high brow' places they'll still serve potato puree with nice cuts of beef.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like an interestin dinin experience...

Not a gauntlet, tossed on th floor, but any pics would be appreciated, Brother!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sadly, no, I did not take any pics. I've gotten away from pics lately... I was afraid I was becoming a social media 'tard type, even though this is about the only place I would post such things anymore. I've just gotten disgusted with popular culture and social media and am developing a bit of an aversion to picture taking for the purposes of sharing experiences. Maybe it's stupid, I dunno. I'm turning into a bit of a grump...

For a steak, served individually like a ribeye, of the two options you mention it would be a baked potato. Then some type of veg, asparagus or Brussels from the CI skillet.

but, if you were to serve a sliced portion of meat, then, I’d say mashed and like a few others, a mushroom or peppercorn sauce (not gravy) to accompany it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here