Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Garlic Bread Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Garlic Bread Recipe

I'm looking for a garlic bread spread recipe.

I know it's mainly just softened butter and garlic or garlic powder. I've made this may times.

I seem to either make garlic bread that tastes like a buttered piece of toast or one that tastes like chewing on a whole head of raw garlic.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Do it the Italian way. Toast a piece of good rustic bread ... like a slice of baguette or artisanal sourdough ... and lightly rub a slice of raw garlic on it. Forget the butter.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; November 11, 2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Noice Avatar, an Akubra, Brother!!!

Me Likeys!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      No butter? I'll pass...

I'm with MBMorgan on this one. Cut a garlic clove in half (across), and rub the cut surface on a toasted good quality baguette. If you still want some butter on it, spread it on thinly after the garlic treatment.

Comment

I put butter and olive oil in a pan with a ton of minced or microplaned garlic and some salt and heat over low heat until the butter stops foaming and the garlic is very lightly browned. Just dont let the garlic get too browned or it'll burn in the oven. Then brush it on the bread and toast/heat in oven. Often I'll also add parmesan or parsley to the bread

For the toast/heat - Sometimes I use slices of bread and toast, sometimes I slice a loaf in half, butter both sides and wrap in foil and heat for 5-10 and maybe toast/broil briefly after to get some crunch. Depends how I'm feeling and how crusty the bread is

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Works fer me, as well...

• RolfTaylor
        RolfTaylor commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to combining olive oil and butter.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Similar to what I do - sauté garlic in in butter with a bit of salt, then strain out the garlic chunks. If there's time, let it cool back to a semisolid and spread on Italian loaf bread and broil in the oven. Comes out awesome.

If I may interject into this conversation, I only learned of this technique of rubbing garlic across the face of the toasted bread last night.

That being said, please, do provide me with any / all tangible / credible reasons why this would not be exponentially made better with roasted, or smoked garlic cloves?

Roast it / smoke it / rub it. Better, Yes???

The floor is yours...

That being said, I generally just butter up my slice(s) with some salted butter, hit em with what I think is a good amount of garlic salt, garlic powder, garlic granules, and into the Cast Iron we go...

Never have wished I'd done it differently.

(I used babel fish to translate all this inta Yanqui, fer y'all that are kinda slow...)
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 11, 2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the main difference would be is that with a raw clove, all you're really transferring to the bread is the essence, or oil from the clove. A roasted clove would just be mush. Having said that, I quite enjoy spreading some roasted cloves on a good piece of bread. Also the flavours would be quite different, sharper with the raw clove and nuttier with the roasted.

One of my go to favorite garlic bread recipes that is always a huge hit is from Weber's Big Book of Grilling. Here is the recipe:

Grilled Garlic Bread

Finely minced garlic is the key to making mouth-watering but not eye-watering garlic bread. For best results, flatten the peeled garlic on a cutting board with the side of a large knife. Then chop the garlic until it is almost a paste.

Indirect/HIGH

1 Loaf of Italian or French Bread

1 Stick unsalted butter, softened
      1 tablespoon minced Garlic
      1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
      ½ teaspoon kosher salt
      ½ teaspoon paprika

Cut the loaf crosswise into 3/4 inch slices but do not cut through the bottom of the loaf keep all the slices attached. Place the cut bread on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil slightly more than twice as long and twice as wide as the loaf.

In a medium bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mash them together with the back of a fork. Spread the butter mixture evenly over one side of each slice of bread. Wrap the loaf completely in the foil.

Grill the loaf over Indirect High heat until the butter is melted and the outside of the bread is crispy, about 10 minutes. Carefully unwrap the loaf and serve the bread warm.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, now that sounds like the ticket!

My fave garlic bread is easy. Good baguette, the best extra virgin olive oil you can find, and a bit of chopped garlic. Toast to your preference by whatever method you like, or grill. Simple, but more complex, flavor wise, than one might think.

Comment

My two faves are variations on above themes.

Good baguette, sliced and then brushed with a very good olive oil. Toast to your preference on a grill or griddle. Remove and promptly rub a fresh garlic clove on the toasty side, which will grate off a small amount of garlic and a glorious amount of garlic essence. Finish with a sprinkle of kosher salt. As Strat50 says, far more complex and delish than it seems, and the salt is a critical element.

Second option is pretty much as AdequateEatin
        describes, except that I prefer baguettes sliced lengthwise. Once the butter is melted, I'll turn the pieces face down over high heat on the coals to toast them a little. Don't look away, though - you can go from awesome to incinerated in a few seconds. (If I'm doing fluffy French bread, I do it exactly as described above).

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on slicing lengthwise

I don't know about anything else, but if you start with rye bread oh, I think that improves the recipe

Comment

First start with the bread: Bread / The Original San Francisco Sourdough – Boudin Bakery Online Store
          I enjoy the basic combo of Butter and minced garlic.
          Cut in half, butter it up, stick in the oven 350*F until brown just a little, Slice, and serve.
          Note: fix more than needed, be sure there is enough for leftovers. So good the next morning with coffee.

Comment

I roast my garlic for garlic bread
            Cut a head of garlic in half horizontally dip both halves in olive oil, wrap in foil and bake at 300ish for 20-30 mins, you'll know when its done.
            Squeeze the garlic paste out of the sleeves add more olive oil to get the consistency you want, spread on baguette and heat under the broiler.
            You can soup it up by adding freshly grated parmesan cheese, tomato's....this is my base for Bruschetta.
            We really love the sweetness baking gives the garlic using this method.
            That being said a little goes a long way, I wouldn't be going on any first dates after eating this.

Comment

All of the above are great ideas, but if you’re in a pinch, Lawry’s Garlic Salt is really good stuff. I’ll spread butter on my favorite loaf or slice, sprinkle a little of this, then pop in the oven. I’ve yet to find a garlic salt I like better.

Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                In a pinch, it works.

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                We grew up using the Larry’s garlic spread. It good but not next level.

Everyday garlic bread kit:
              softer butter to room temp, spread on to taste
              unpeeled clove in press, press, spread to taste
              bonus: sprinkle on Italian cheese to taste
              in oven on broil (top only)
              Attached Files

Comment

• Caffeine88
                Caffeine88 commented
                Editing a comment
                The visual.... 👍🏻👍🏻

My Mom would use hotdog buns. Quarter them, brush with melted margarine ( I don't recall butter in the house other than holidays) and sprinkle with garlic salt. Always came out crunchy and garlicy . I know, not very chefy but very little was back in the day with 5 kids.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                Hulagn1971 commented
                Editing a comment
                We used to make it this way when my kids were toddlers. I think the key is the hot dog bus and especially the margarine. Color goes a long way to entice the eyes before it hits the taste buds!

• RolfTaylor
                RolfTaylor commented
                Editing a comment
                My mother used to make buttered hot dog buns under the broiler. She never made them with garlic, but that would be excellent.

Here's a pretty good lazy recipe. This is inspired by America's Test Kitchen* but modified. All amounts are approximate as I don't measure and am working from memory.

2 Tsp garlic powder (the roasted type is best)
              1 Tsp dried minced garlic (or one more Tsp of powder)
              3 Tsp water

Microwave for maybe 10 seconds till it is hot and the garlic has absorbed the water.

Add 3 Tblspn butter and 3 Tblspn olive oil.

Microwave for ~20-30 seconds. Ideally the butter should be creamy not melted since this makes it easier to work with. Stir thoroughly.

Apply to loaf of bread (baguette, italian, ciabata) sliced diagonally leaving bottom intact. Most should go on the slices but I like to put some on top.

Wrap in foil and put in 350 degree oven. Check after 10 minutes. Continue as needed till bread gets slightly crisp.

*ATK suggests an equal amount of garlic powder and hot water. Stir and allow to sit. Then take this paste and saute it with butter.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here