Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauerkraut: The Science Of (A Call To Arms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Retherford
    commented on 's reply
    No bursted bag Pix?

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
    Man lots of reading out there on this. Hard to pick a starting point. air lock, no air lock, glass, plastic, weights, crocks, on and on. : /

So the lack of O2 is important. Why can't I just put the salt and the cabbage in a vacuum sealed bag and let it sit a few weeks?

How much does it off gas? Is this even a possibility?

Testing Testing: Vac bag kraut.

What the heck. Left the bag long to allow for a cut and reseal for venting the off gas if needed.

Leave a comment:

• LangInGibsonia
    commented on 's reply
    +1!!

• Cheef
    replied
    Franks is processed-cooked and I suspect preserved with vinegar.
    Franks Kraut is the exact reason I went on a quest for Grandmas saur krat.
    If it hadn't been for tasting the real deal when I was a kid I would be among the MANY kraut haters in the world
    store bought kraut is nothing like home made.

Leave a comment:

• ribeyeguy
    replied
    I grew up in Franksville, Wisconsin, home of Frank's Kraut and the annual Kraut Festival. Try to imagine the smell of a small town that processed raw cabbage 24/7/365 and then had the balls to hold an annual festival that commemorated it. It was horrible. The smell alone forever soured me on eating it much less making it in my own home. To this day whenever I drive past a cabbage field being harvested in late summer I come close to vomiting.

I apologize to all the kraut lovers out there but more so than anything else it's the one food that truly sickens me.

Leave a comment:

• Cheef
    replied
    You would possibly blow the bag. It would for sure inflate it.
    I spent a LOT of money on the traditional Harscht style stoneware crock.
    This Crazy Korean makes better kraut (in my opinion) it makes it quicker, cheaper, and less messy.
    The Crazy Korean just took so much hassle away it amazes me.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Man lots of reading out there on this. Hard to pick a starting point. air lock, no air lock, glass, plastic, weights, crocks, on and on. : /

So the lack of O2 is important. Why can't I just put the salt and the cabbage in a vacuum sealed bag and let it sit a few weeks?

How much does it off gas? Is this even a possibility?
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 1, 2016, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cheef
    replied
    DWCowles Funny you should mention loving sauerkraut as a kid. My (now) 6 year old grand daughter considers herself my official sauerkraut tester. She samples and critiques and pretty much lets me know when it is ready for the jar and refrigerator. She has been my official taste tester since she was 2 years old. She does NOT consider fermented brussell sprouts to be worthy although I kind of like them as much or better than kraut.

Leave a comment:

• Cheef
    replied
    http://www.thepetbeastro.com/2014/08...rmented-foods/
    A short article on probiotic benefits from ferments for your pets.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    I had no idea it would be good for puppys. Cool!

• Cheef
    replied
    Dr ROK I am using the .9 Gal crock shown in that link. It easily hold 5# of cabbage--I would guess it could hold 7.5# easily. I do 5 pound batches because it gives me time to get the next batch ready by the time the first batch is gone. I give my dogs a small spoonful every day - it is loaded with probiotic and supposed to be really good for a dogs short digestive system. Funny as hell-they come running when I open the kraut jar.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    I used to love sauerkraut when I was a kid (many many moons ago) until I got sick on it and haven't touch it since.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    The above recipe is something I reverse engineered from a dish my wife and I had while visiting Versailles, France quite a few years ago. They called it something like "Choucroute de Poissons". It was the above sauerkraut topped with gently steamed shrimp and white fish fillets over which was a very good white (bechamel) sauce. The white sauce was then topped with clams (mussels would work, too) that were braised in sherry then garnished with a bit of fresh parsley. We initially expected that sauerkraut and seafood might be a little weird ... so of course we ordered it and it was awesome! After much experimentation, I think that the reverse engineering effort was more than successful and we've enjoyed it at home many times since.

Here's the full recipe if any brave souls can convince themselves that seafood+sauerkraut makes sense:

Choucroute de Poissons (MBM)
    Based on a restaurant dish served in Versailles

Choucroute
    • Ingredients
      • 4 slices bacon, diced
      • 2 yellow onions
      • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
      • 2 apples, peeled, cored, & sliced thin
      • 1 quart jar sauerkraut (good stuff … not canned)
      • 1 1/2 cups white wine
      • 10 juniper berries
      • 6 black peppercorns (or 12 green)
      • 2 bay leaves
      • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
    • Directions
      • Heat 6-8 quart pot (not iron or aluminum)
      • Sauté bacon until clear
      • Add onion and garlic; brown lightly
      • Add apples, sauerkraut, and wine
      • Add juniper berries, bay leaves, peppercorns, and brown sugar; stir
      • Cook for 2 hours on medium-low heat; just simmering
    White Sauce
    • Ingredients
      • 2 cups milk
      • 3 Tblsp chopped yellow onion
      • 1 bay leaf
      • Cayenne pepper or Tabasco (just a few shots) to taste
      • 4 Tblsp butter, margarine, or 3 Tblsp olive oil
      • 3 Tblsp flour
      • Salt to taste
    • Directions
      • Bring milk to simmer
      • Add onion, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper
      • Simmer for a few minutes, then strain
      • Return strained milk to stove
      • In another pan, melt butter and stir in flour to make roux - don't brown
      • Remove milk from heat and stir in roux
      • Simmer, stirring, until thick (10 min)
      • Add salt to taste
    Steamed (Shell)Fish
    • Ingredients
      • Shrimp - several large ones per serving
      • Fish filets - orange roughy or other white fish
      • Salt, peppercorns, fresh parsley, herbs de Provence, white wine
    • Directions
      • Add peppercorns, garlic, wine to water, bring to boil
      • Sprinkle (shell)fish with salt, parsley, herbs to taste
      • Steam until just done - 5 minutes?
    Clams Braised in Sherry
    • Ingredients
      • 3 slices bacon, diced
      • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
      • 3 or 4 clams or mussels per serving
      • Salt & pepper to taste
      • 1/4 to 1/2 cup sherry - enough to braise clams
      • 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
    • Directions
      • Sauté bacon until clear
      • Add onion; brown lightly
      • Add clams; toss to coat
      • Add sherry (carefully); reduce by half … tossing occasionally to recoat
      • Cover and steam until all clams are open
      • Sprinkle on small amount of parsley; toss once more to distribute
      • Remove from heat
    To Serve
    • Choucroute on plate or platter (pick out the bay leaves and peppercorns)
    • Fish and shellfish over the choucroute
    • White sauce over the fish and shellfish
    • Clams over the sauce
    • Fresh parsley on top as garnish

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply

• LangInGibsonia
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds delicious. I guarantee if you do that same thing to homemade 'kraut your head will explode! Haha!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview