Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauerkraut: The Science Of (A Call To Arms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWCowles Funny you should mention loving sauerkraut as a kid. My (now) 6 year old grand daughter considers herself my official sauerkraut tester. She samples and critiques and pretty much lets me know when it is ready for the jar and refrigerator. She has been my official taste tester since she was 2 years old. She does NOT consider fermented brussell sprouts to be worthy although I kind of like them as much or better than kraut.

Comment

Man lots of reading out there on this. Hard to pick a starting point. air lock, no air lock, glass, plastic, weights, crocks, on and on. : /

So the lack of O2 is important. Why can't I just put the salt and the cabbage in a vacuum sealed bag and let it sit a few weeks?

How much does it off gas? Is this even a possibility?
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; March 1, 2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

You would possibly blow the bag. It would for sure inflate it.
        I spent a LOT of money on the traditional Harscht style stoneware crock.
        This Crazy Korean makes better kraut (in my opinion) it makes it quicker, cheaper, and less messy.
        The Crazy Korean just took so much hassle away it amazes me.

Comment

I grew up in Franksville, Wisconsin, home of Frank's Kraut and the annual Kraut Festival. Try to imagine the smell of a small town that processed raw cabbage 24/7/365 and then had the balls to hold an annual festival that commemorated it. It was horrible. The smell alone forever soured me on eating it much less making it in my own home. To this day whenever I drive past a cabbage field being harvested in late summer I come close to vomiting.

I apologize to all the kraut lovers out there but more so than anything else it's the one food that truly sickens me.

Comment

Franks is processed-cooked and I suspect preserved with vinegar.
            Franks Kraut is the exact reason I went on a quest for Grandmas saur krat.
            If it hadn't been for tasting the real deal when I was a kid I would be among the MANY kraut haters in the world
            store bought kraut is nothing like home made.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
            Man lots of reading out there on this. Hard to pick a starting point. air lock, no air lock, glass, plastic, weights, crocks, on and on. : /

So the lack of O2 is important. Why can't I just put the salt and the cabbage in a vacuum sealed bag and let it sit a few weeks?

How much does it off gas? Is this even a possibility?

Testing Testing: Vac bag kraut.

What the heck. Left the bag long to allow for a cut and reseal for venting the off gas if needed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here