Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armadillo eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrrr
    commented on 's reply
    If you got the grill going anyways you could throw the jalapeños on there for a little bit. Slightly roasting them would bring a good flavor I would imagine.

• Dadof3Illinois
    commented on 's reply
    Don't blanch for more than maybe 15-20 seconds or they will be mushy and won't have any spice at all. I blanch the peppers i'm making poppers with for the kids to take the heat out.

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    I heartily agree with blanching (precooking really) the peppers.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    I mean, I've not done them. But low for awhile longer gives the heat time to penetrate. Alternatively, blanching might help since they're precooked. For that matter, you could cook them over direct heat for awhile then cool them and stuff them. That way they're already cooked and you don't have to worry about it.

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory Thanks. I did have a leave in probe in one. So you think cooking at a lower temp and for letting longer might work? I did wonder what temping the middle which is just cheese accomplishing. However, the sausage is too thin to temp it.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Not done those (yet...) but my thought would be to let it go longer on the low and have a probe in one.

I wonder, too, if blanching the jalapeños for 1-2 mins would precook them enough to help.

Leave a comment:

• Rod
    started a topic Armadillo eggs

Armadillo eggs

So last night I made these for the first time. I used allthingsbbq's recipe. Followed it pretty much to a tee. The only issue was the jalapenos were not cooked enough. They're basically stuffed with cheese and wrapped in sausage and then bacon. Cooked at 275 to an IT of 160. The sausage is about a 1/4" thick all around.

Any suggestions on how to get the peppers cooked more (not mushy though) and not over cook the meat?

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20210924_215354_8622644683819058467.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1100469

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here