Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rice in the Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latenight71
    replied
    Here's one explanation as to why one might freeze dry rice. I've never frozen rice myself, but not afraid of trying something new!

I just bought some Carolina Plantation Gold rice in a sack. It says to store it in the freezer or the refrigerator. Can this be right?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Haveta wonder if their OEM packagin is equal to th storage task, first off... anybody git em some, vac seal, an freezer tested?

Deffo sounds like rice is gittin some moisture from somewhere, wonderin if some slow-mo fermentation is not occurrin...

Freezer rice vinegar, or rice wine??? Cold Brewed? Or Regular?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 17, 2021, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    "Please refrigerate or freeze" - interesting

• RonB
    replied
    I'm bringin' this back for a photo of a bag of rice I received today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210915_175726[1].jpg
Views:	158
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1096031

Leave a comment:

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    Heh-he! Guess it is another case of me and the Mrs. should be dead...

• FireMan
    replied
    Checked it out. Yes, you can freeze those little suckers & if you do it right they can last up to 18 months in the freezer. So, THEY say. I’ve had rice last that long out of the freezer, albeit in a tight container so those Lil bugs don’t git at em. Says yer suppose to lay em out on a cookie sheet & cool em down & then put em in freezer bags or the like. Seems like a lotta work.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    For long term storage any rice or wheat etc with the whole grain will last a lot longer than in a pantry, but it has to be sealed well and protected from moisture and freeze-thaw cycling.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    No need bbqLuv as it appears they only have a few days of thaw in that particular latitude.

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    Not sure what the issue, in general, with freezing cooked rice. There are lots of frozen rice products on the market. Trader Joe’s sells a Jasmine rice frozen that we use all the time. My wife will freeze anything, and leftover rice has certainly made it in there many times. I guessing some form of contamination, but don’t know enough to call that a certainty.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Same here Bkhuna . We have a small under cabinet fridge just stuffed with their grits, corn meal, and other products.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Yeah I don't think this is meant to be frozen. There is moisture and when frozen that swells. Doubt it is bad just not worth eating.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I've never heard of freezing dried rice or dried beans. They just go in the pantry. I am with others, and wonder if there was some level of moisture that caused issues due to the daily defrost cycle in a frost free freezer.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Freezer bag is a rather ambiguous term, no doubt...room fer discussion, here...

But...

If in th original pkg, and / or / inserted into a 'freezer bag', it really shouldn't be absorbin anything, should it?

I git my rice dried, an have never frozen it, so I consider myself unqualified to testify as to why this here particular phenomenon occurred...

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Donw - I've been an avid fan of Geechie Boy/Marsh Hen for years. There are 5 types of grits I buy from them as well as Sea Island beans and corn meal.

We're planning a trip to Charleston over the Christmas holiday and their store is on our "to do" list.

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Putting rice in the freezer may be against the grain. I'm wondering if the rice itself expanded, as in absorbed moisture during the frost-free cycles, or fermentation process occurred and giving off-gas.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here