Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wish Bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish Bone

Cubed potatoes and halved Brussel sprouts tossed in Wishbone Italian dressing, wrapped in foil, and cooked in my Traeger until tender. So simple, so good. This was a side dish for the last steaks I grilled.

Italian dressing also makes a good binder or smear instead of mustard. But why bother when you can just spritz before applying seasoning or a rub.

I am getting lazy in my old age. For example Dump cake in a cast iron dutch oven. Dump in a can of freestone peaches, dump a box of cake mix, cover, and cook. How simple is that? And it is tasty also too.

They make self-cleaning ovens. Why not self-cleaning pellet grills?
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 10, 2021, 08:42 AM.

The pictures are not showing....

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      too lazy that evening to take pics. Besides they got a little overcooked. Please don't tell anyone. thank you.

Glad to see another convert to Wishbone Italian Dressing as a marinade/mop. Been doing that in Texas for years, especially with poultry. Keeps it moist and delicious. Here's a write-up a did a few years back on one of the true Texas characters I met in my early days in the State. He turned me on to Wishbone in the '70s.

The HJ Leggie Texas Low & Slow Chicken

Click image for larger version

Name:	texas chicken 02.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1091594

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for this post.
      The pictures look great.
      The cookbook is on my list.
      Peace out.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Growing up, watching my papaw grill chicken, I didn't know it was used for anything but a chicken marinade/mop. Never realized it was a dressing until I was grown.

Popping some popcorn, getting ready for the Wishbone vs. Good Seasons grudge match.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no contest there. Good Seasons is so swanky because you mix it in the cruet. It kicks Wishbones a** every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Wishbone couldn’t carry Good Season’s jock strap Troutman Been using it since the 70’s or 80’s probably. And yes I’ve tried Wishbone as a marinade before. I also use balsamic vinegar in it, instead of regular white vinegar. Big difference in taste.
      Last edited by Panhead John; September 10, 2021, 02:23 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Seasons all the way! Made with balsamic vinegar. I’ve used Wishbone before and it was, eh, ok as a marinade. Not close to GS though in the flavor department.

The cubed potatoes and Brussel spouts sounds good. Never thought it as a binder though I already know it'll smell better than the mustard. We've been using wishbone as a marinade for chicken and pork chops for a while with delicious results.

Comment

You should try my lazy man potatoes.

I quarter B Size red potatoes, toss them in a bit of olive oil, toss them in this stuff
      Click image for larger version

Name:	F4A7DBF2-BC6D-4BAE-9DDB-F7DB57767257.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1091630

And then roast them in the oven for about 40 minutes.

So easy, so good!

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Like 375 to 400. You'll get some crispy edges that way

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ssandy_561 Your recipe above would make a great post if you wanted to start one. Quick and easy side dishes/ meals? Not sure of a title but, I know that myself, I think that would be a popular post, and useful. Have people give us their favorite EZ PZ recipes that are tasty.
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 10, 2021, 02:50 PM.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John EZ PZ, the true fact of a Pellet Grill, color me, Traeger.
        ssandy_561 Good suggestion, seasoning on our shopping list.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; September 10, 2021, 08:20 PM.

Try wishbone , coke, and BBQ sauce. So good!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok Old Glory I'm looking through for some side dish ideas and ran across this - I'm curious... you're talking use the Wishbone, Coca-Cola and BBQ sauce... as the sauce for the above dish, the potatoes and Brussels sprouts? Or for something else? Or just as a general sauce to use in multiple scenarios?

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier it is a marinade for steak tips.

Originally posted by Jim White View Post
      Popping some popcorn, getting ready for the Wishbone vs. Good Seasons grudge match.
      I always thought Wishbone was Good in all of the Seasons.

Comment

I am wondering what it would be like with balsamic dressing. I am pretty sure it would go well with the Brussels sprouts, but am uncertain with the potatoes.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          I would think that would be okay too. I used enough for a light coat and background flavor.

Do you spritz with PBR ?

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          PBR Spritz Bottle.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Spritz my mouth with it every few minutes.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here