Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe Potluck Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe Potluck Sides

The 4th is upon us and there will be many gatherings where we bring something to share. What are some safe side dishes for these outdoor events?

Funeral/Party Potatoes will ALWAYS go.

I think there's a recent discussion about it.

Cheesy potato casserole.

The alternative strategy, that I sometimes use at work is to bring something I know I will like, and then, either it goes, or I have tons of leftovers that I like.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Having your food devoured is kind of good and bad at the same time. I would take that over having a lot of it left when you didn't really plan to make extra.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had the Funeral Potatoes a lot of times, liked them, and had no idea they are called that.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Wife's fam calls them Party Potatoes... I think the LDS community calls them Funeral and it came from that. High calorie food is one of the few indulgences you get in LDS.

I made this macaroni salad recently and it was a hit

There's nothing quite like a creamy, old fashioned macaroni salad recipe to bring back memories of summer. This is like the Hellmann's classic recipe.

Comment

I've served this slaw to a lot of people and it's always been a hit. Very light, bright dressing.

This Sweet 'n Tangy Apple- Cabbage slaw is healthy, full of bright flavors and makes a great accompaniment/ side for grilling season.

Comment

Rigatoni and Ragu sauce. Cheap and Easy. Even children will eat this.

Comment

My Hopalong Hominy is always a hit, even with people who do not normally like hominy:

This is a great side dish for BBQ or really for anything. If you don't like hominy try this recipe anyway - I've converted a lot of people with this recipe. This recipe is based on Cowboy Kent Rollins recipe but I tweaked it to my tastes. I always cook this in a Dutch oven and I have only cooked it indoors one time, I prefer to

Comment

I like the idea of that potato casserole that Potkettleblack posted - the OP wants "safe" dishes for a potluck, so I think stuff with mayonnaise or other ingredients that goes bad in the heat is what he is trying to stay away from.

Here's a hit that I made a while back - smoked mac and cheese:

This smoked mac and cheese is creamy, rich, and topped with a crisp panko topping and rounded out with the perfect kiss of smoke flavor.

Comment

M&M's
              They melt in your mouth not in your hand

Comment

Potatoe salads and macaroni salads great. Safe? Not so much if it is hot out there! We use these and they really help https://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Ther...s%2C205&sr=8-2

Comment

Ramen salad is a good choice, it's vinegar based so staying chilled isn't the most important. You do need to keep it covered as the flies really love it too. All the people that say "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" have clearly never tested that phrase outside at a picnic.

Comment

Baked beans, Mac & Cheese varieties and/or slaw are my go-to safe dishes.

Comment

By 'safe' do you mean food safe or safe in the sense of being things most people like?

For food safety, have a large chest of ice and keep the sides on ice. Food safety is mostly a matter of time and temp, so...

Comment

• smokinsteve
                        smokinsteve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Food safe.

• rickgregory
                        rickgregory commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So then I'd avoid mayo based things and would want some way to keep things cold. Ice in a chest, etc. Even then you'll need to make sure people don't leave them out on a table, etc.

Broccoli salad

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here