Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish sauce

I'm a fish sauce and anchovies addict. I'm working on how I can incorporate it in my cake recipe, yes, that bad. But the good stuff is expensive and only needs a small dap. So I ventured out looking for ways to get just enough for a meal or a sandwich or a drink to minimize waste. That's when I thought about a spray bottle. BINGO. A spray on a salad, a spray on a burger, a spray on scrambled eggs, a spray on a pizza slice, a spray on a slice of cake (Maybe?) .... Problem solved, no more waste.

Excellent fish sauce should have just 2 ingredients. Anchovies and salt. Push come to shove, Sugar but that's it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201016_150101982.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	924539Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201015_174651504.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	924540

THat Red Boat salt is the secret addition to my ribs.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      It's something else ain't it. Give it a try on fries

I've been buying my fish sauce from the little Vietnamese market I frequent. These come in at a little over $5 for 24 ounces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_084705.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	924551

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I buy the 3 crabs fish sauce as well. Been told by Vietnamese friends that it is the best commercial fish sauce to buy.

Attjack check your ingredients list. Next time give red boat a try. Get the small bottle.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried Red Boat and know it's highly recommended. But it's been a while so it's probably time for a taste test. The fish sauces above contain anchovy extract, salt, water, fructose, and hydrolyzed vegetable protein (MSG) in them.

Question: do you refrigerate?

Forgot to mention I will be stealing your spray bottle idea.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Steal away LOL.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      And so do i..

Ordered some Red Boat.

Comment

I also use the Three Crabs brand like Attjack. It is a step up from the generic store brand we had before we started doing more Vietnamese cooking. I'll look for Red Boat when we run out, but I don't recall seeing it and I may have to go to an Asian market to pick some up.
      I don't refrigerate my fish sauce, I haven't noticed any change in flavor. It is kept in a cabinet not exposed to light.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        It doesn't need refrigeration. There's enough salt in there
        Last edited by Ernest; October 16, 2020, 02:16 PM.

Great idea. What ratio water to sauce did you use?

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay. My bad I thought.... 🙈

I think fish sauce must be something folks either LOVE or HATE.

I use it in some Asian inspired recipes, and its always a small amount. My wife got a whiff of it one time when I had the bottle open, and couldn't believe I was putting that in food we were going to eat, haha. I cannot imagine just spraying it on my food straight...

I had a bottle of Red Boat in the fridge, but it expired recently and got tossed.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you like whiskey when you first tried it? I think fish sauce is an acquired taste that once acquired is unmatched.
        Last edited by Attjack; October 16, 2020, 12:59 PM. Reason: Clarifying the subject of the second sentence.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack who can say? I cannot remember the first time I had whisky, since it was in my college days in the mid 1980's. I like it these days, neat, but it takes me about 6 months to work through a bottle on my own.

Now you remind me, I need to go to the liquor store!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        If you can taste the fish sauce in a dish, there's too much fish sauce in the dish (with a few exceptions).

Fish sauce is pure gold! Haven’t heard of red boat, will see if it is available in my part of the world. And the spray bottle is genius!

Comment

holehogg Oh no no no no no diluting. I just poured it out straight into the spray bottle.

Comment

Henrik Red boat has become the Gold standard. 40N, just anchovies and salt. The small batch is 50N with extra aging in maple barrel.
          The Iwashi has some sugar and they use a different kind of anchovies. It's milder than red boat

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Aged in maple? What's next, pumpkin spice fish sauce? 🤣

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna hahaha that's when I'd leave earth. But it's 2020, anything is possible. Pumpkin fish sauce. I think I just puked in my mouth. Hahaha

Attjack See that list ingredients LOL. That's more like fish sauce STYLE.
          I refrigerate the aged ones because I use them sparingly. These go in dips, quick sauces etc.
          The regular red boat bottle sits next to my sat and pepper by the stove.

Comment

I hit up my Vietnamese friend and she likes Three Crabs and Squid brand. Three Crabs has more flavor and Squid is lighter. She often mixes them. She said her (adoptive) parents like Red Boat and she says she does too but that it's on the lighter side of flavor. I'll pick up some squid this weekend and Amazon will send my red boat and I'll do a taste test soon.

Comment

Now I'm reading some reviews and the 2 fish sauces I showed above are made by the same company but they are not the same. It's funny because I asked the owner of the shop when I bought the 3 crabs instead of my usual Flying Lion what the difference was and she said "no difference, same". Now I realize she must have meant they were both fish sauce.

On this website, squid is ranked the worst and Red Boat is the top 1 and 2 (5 and 4 stars respectively). Flying Lion gets 3/5 stars.

Last edited by Attjack; October 16, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. Thank you.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here