Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Hot Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Hot Sauce

I grew a bunch of peppers in my garden this year and I decided the best way to use these things is to make some homemade hot sauce. I found a recipe on some mom blog that I'm going to try out (if you know of any good recipes link me up I'm willing to try a couple different things). Looks like I'm going to ferment and brine them with garlic for a few days and add some sugar and apple cider vinegar at the end. I'm going to use different combinations of Scotch Bonnets, Habaneros, Jalapenos, Bells, Charlestons, Devils Tongues, and Carolina Reapers. Wish me luck! More pictures when all is said and done.

Attached Files

Here is Meathead’s

There are a gazillion hot pepper sauces on the market but here's a recipe for a signature hot pepper sauce you can easily make at home. Focused on flavor first, our controlled burn hot sauce is infinitely more complex than most sauces and has just the right amount of heat to amp up foods without overpowering them.

Comment

My Mom had a great recipe for hot chow chow that I wish I had.

The only vegie in it was hot peppers and it was great. I don't have it and she's been gone almost 30 years now....

Comment

You are in for a lot of great sauces! I did not get my garden in this year and I am so bummed.

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          You saved yourself some headache for a year. Another opportunity approaches!

Haven't really gotten anything from the garden (yet, fingers crossed), but a friend sent me a few Carolina Reapers. The Habaneros came from the store, but they'll ferment just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	910131

Name:	IMG_5253.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	910132

The Habanero will get back sweetened with Pineapple juice, since I've got people yelling at me for more. The Reaper? We'll see if it needs anything once it's fermented.

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          May I ask where you got the lids and the airlocks? I have been looking for them and can not find them.

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Amazon. These are "Year of Plenty" brand, but if you search for fermentation lids there's tons.

I guy at work told me he peels the skin off, removes the seeds, roasts them, and then I think puts them in the blender. Not sure what order but I think he soaks them to make it easier to peel them.

Comment

I have a one week old batch of fermented hot sauce on right now, it is made up of jalapeño and habaneros from my garden. Once the fermenting is done I will put it through the blender then add some vinegar and that will be it. I also found a good hot sauce recipe from Bobby Carson on the internet that I usually make as well this time of the year. Meatheads cowboy candy is also a easy and good thing to make with jalapeños.

Name:	3E7D98E1-E2A7-4901-AB9B-DA3917D08FF6.jpeg
Views:	388
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	910145

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that cowboy candy is really good. I need to make more - there is so much stuff around here that things slip my mind. What little mind I have left.

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            I bottled my hot sauce today after almost two weeks, the fermentation had slowed down. I ran the peppers though the blender with 1/2 cup of brine and 1cup of vinegar.

Awesome. I haven’t tried my luck yet at fermenting hot sauce but intend to at some point. I’ve been enjoying a habanero hot sauce that is a riff on a Rick Bayless recipe. Char some garlic cloves in the skin and then peel. Then simmer water, vinegar, habaneros, carrot and onion before blending with the garlic and salt. I usually add some mango and also char the habaneros.

Really enjoying it and makes me want to take it the next step and ferment some hot sauce.

Comment

Don't rub your eyes or take a pee...

Name:	KA Peps.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	910321
            I couldn't see a thing, or enjoy life, for a week or two..

Comment

• Argoboy
              Argoboy commented
              Editing a comment
              I wear gloves and I really do not enjoy handling hot peppers. I can not imagine handling really hot peppers.

Yup, I learned to wash my hands BEFORE using the bathroom the hard way after chopping some habaneros.

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              I stood in a shower trying to hold my eyes open for 30 minutes... my wife thought my right cornea was permanently scarred. The human body is a fascinating thing... all cleared up.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Rubba Glubba, Bubba!

Just finished bottling up a big batch. Reapers, space chilies, garlic, raspberries... fermented for a little over a month. Have a few more batches still fermenting. Pretty decent year for peppers. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_171132.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	910792Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_183409.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	910793

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              You are a MAN!

I have tried three times to ferment hot peppers, and each time i get a fluffy mold on top. Any one have advice i can use before I just can this year's harvest?

Comment

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              Try an airlock. Make sure everything is weighed done. If its white it might just be kame yeast. Fermenting in a vacuum bag works good too. You can also just skim the top layer off. Everything under the brine is fine.

• Dick Anderson
              Dick Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, I'll try that.Do you wash the peppers first?

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely wash peppers and the container and weights

Here's a favorite recipe from GrillGrrrl.com. The site seems to be down but it's been archived here:

Kick Ass Habanero Hot Sauce

Ingredients:
            • 1 tbsp olive oil
            • 1 cup chopped carrots
            • 1/2 cup chopped onions
            • 5 cloves garlic, minced
            • 6 habanero peppers, stems removed
            • 1/4 cup water
            • 1/4 cup lime juice (2 Limes)
            • 1 tbsp lime zest
            • 1/4 cup white vinegar
            • 1 tomato
            • sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook and stir the carrots, oil, onion, and garlic in the hot oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the habanero peppers, water, lime juice, vinegar, tomato and lime zest to the blender/processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer the mixture to a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Simmering at the end gives the sauce a more liquid consistency.

this keeps up to a month in the refrigerator.

http://grillgrrrl.com/

Comment

Another way to ferment and save space at the same time is in a vacuum sealed food bags. Wash your peppers and then coursely chop them by hand or in a food processor. Weigh them and then add your salt by weight, mixing thoroughly. Place your pepper/salt mash in a vacuum bag and then seal as you would any other food - the vacuum creates an anaerobic atmosphere. As the ferment progresses the bag will fill inflate. At some point, you might have to cut a corner to let the gas escape. But just reseal it.

Comment

• jhapka
                jhapka commented
                Editing a comment
                Is there a special technique to using a foodsaver for example to seal a bag full of liquid? My last foodsaver bit the dust when it sucked liquid into its pump and I felt really stupid.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I probably wouldn’t do it if you use a brine solution. Best for dry mash. If you have a moisture setting on your sealer, use that so you don’t suck up any liquid. A

• jhapka
                jhapka commented
                Editing a comment
                I see, I missed the part of your comment where you don’t add any water. Interesting approach and sounds less messy

ChilliChump is a great YouTube channel for all things growing and fermenting peppers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here