Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Gravy

Not to start a food fight with my Italian friends, but I'd stand this up to anyone's Nonna! However, as an old Irishman who's had a drop or two of whisky, I think I can handle myself 🤪! Ain't no butternut squash in this pot!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_153517.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	826684
    Last edited by CaptainMike; April 5, 2020, 06:00 PM.

I'm in

Comment

That looks outstanding Mike

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        There was no small inspiration from your Sunday cook, Brother.

Hmmmmm, I rate it a 91. Only taste would prove the true test. Color good, texture good, choice of pot excellant, the positioning of the handle away & the spout positioned frontwards was a nice touch. 👍👍👍 🕶

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Praise from the praiseworthy, nothing better!!

Only thing missing is a big hunk of crusty bread for dipping!

Comment

Wow, that looks so delicious. Care to share the recipe? I've got a good one but am always looking to improve.

Kathryn

Comment

Dang, Cap. I'm ready to dive into that!

Comment

fzxdocPretty simple: 2 lbs ground chuck, 1 lb Italian sausage, 1 large yellow onion - diced (or a mirepoix if you wish), 6 cloves garlic - crushed, 1 bottle of red wine (minus 1 glassful, tee hee), 2 28 ounce cans and 1 14 ounce can of high quality tomatoes (I use Cento San Marzano or our homegrown, which are equally as good), 2 cups of water, Italian seasonings to taste (appox. 3 Tbsp each of dried oregano and basil, 1 Tbsp of dried rosemary, 1 tsp each of KS and smoked cayenne.

Brown the meat (season with S & P & GP), remove with slotted spoon to leave the drippings. Add some olive oil if necessary and saute onions 5-6 minutes then add garlic for another 1 minute. Return meat to the pan, add the wine and reduce down for 10 minutes or so. Meanwhile, dump the tomatoes into a suitable bowl and thoroughly crush them with your hand (a la Marcella Hazan) and don't forget to lick your fingers before rinsing them off, it's delicious!! Add tomatoes and swirl 1 cup of water into each tomato can and dump in the pot. Add the herbs and spices and adjust to taste. Simmer lid off for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water or stock as necessary. Serve with favorite pasta. This will easily feed 4 people.

For me, the key to great red sauce is the tomatoes. The tomatoes we grow at home are truly as good as authentic San Marzanos. I think it has a lot to do with the volcanic soil (Mt Shasta vs. Mt Vesuvius) and our relatively close latitudes (41 degrees N vs 40 degrees N). Regardless, great tomatoes make for great sauce! All of the herbs are homegrown as well and I plop a Tbsp or so at a time into the palm of my hand and rub them up to break them down and release the oils (I do not lick my fingers after doing that, but will take a long sniff to gauge the potency). And of course, all of the ingredient measurements are scalable and swaggable!

Comment

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike Your Recipe is amazingly similar to mine. I'm going to try it your way soon!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              jlazar a big red like cabernet or Syrah. And as Julia Child said "Never cook with wine you won't drink" That's why I'm always a glass short of a full bottle when cooking. A few bricks shy of a full load most times as well!

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in my food.

Thanks for the recipe! I’m going to be trying this soon. Only learned what "Sunday Gravy" was while watching The Sopranos so I’m not well versed in Italian cooking.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I grew up with Italian families, so I guess I'm Italian by association!

I recently re-watched all the Sopranos episodes (that sure took a long time!) and am so hungry for Italian food. I even bought come capicolla (capocollo) before our personal lockdown started back in the first week of March. I still haven't eaten any because it's pretty fatty. I'm thinking of pan frying it and adding it to a pasta and peas dish like a carbonara. Tony Soprano always pronounced capocollo as what sounded to me like "gabbagool".

Anyway, those Soprano Sunday dinners had me drooling. Before the lockdown, I had requested the Sopranos Cookbook from the library, but it came after we decided not to venture out of our home for any unnecessary trips, so I never got to look through it for inspiration.

Thanks, CaptainMike , for your recipe. It sounds delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Oooh...there’s a Sopranos cookbook? How did I miss that? Gotta get online and order it!

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Capicola??? If you want a real capicola treat, try an Italian sub with a good roll, capicola, ham, hard salami, mortadella, tomato, lettuce, pepperocini, spicy mustard, vinegar, oil, fresh cracked pepper, oregano and some provolone. Fattening, yeah, but sooooooo good. I spent a lot of time up around New York City and in Reading, PA, and I had some excellent Italian subs (hoagies) and some excellent instructions on making them... Off topic, but you said capicola, and the cravings began.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              One more thing - I didn't know there was a Soprano's cookbook either. I am going to have to look that up!

Great Lookin pot of Sunday Gravy, Capn!!!
            Makin this ol Irishman drool, as well...
            First place I ever lived overseas was Sicily, Gawds, I can still taste th foods!!!!
            Learned me a whole bunch bout how to make their foods, properly an traditionally, while there.
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, there's 101 ways to make a red sauce, and mine is never the same twice. I grew up with and still close to an Italian family and their ravioli is the stuff dreams are made of! My adopted Italian mom is going to teach me her recipe and technique later this year.

Thanks for the recipe, Cap. I am going to give this one a shot. I am like you - I have made lots of sauces, but I never write the recipe down and they never come out the same. This one sounds pretty doggone good, and it is already written down lol.

Comment

Have you all ever watched My Italian Grandma You Tube videos? I have an elderly (97 year old) Italian friend who says that she talks just like his mother did. Those videos are so much fun.

Here's a link to her Fettucine Alfredo. The series is Buon-A-Petitti on You Tube. I made her braciole recipe, which was wonderful.

Kathryn

Comment

I can't quite understand how two things as different as gravy and gravy can both be called gravy. It's a conundrum.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A curiosity, truly.

I said we would try this, and we did today since, of course, it’s Sunday. CaptainMike , it is absolutely delicious!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What, no pics? Haha, very happy that you enjoyed it! Of course you'll now have to ask your wife to "assemble" a lasagna with any leftover sauce.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here