Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make hollandaise sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone make hollandaise sauce?

I woke up today craving eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce, thought i would make my own if i had the ingredients. Looked up a few hollandaise sauce recipes for the first time, only to have concerns about the uncooked egg yolks!
    Some quick recipes called for mixing everything in a blender thus not putting any heat on the yolks.....unless the hot butter is supposed to pasteurize?

Looks like some recipes have you slowly warming the yolks, so i assume that would pasteurize them?

It just got me thinking about how safe this stuff is to consume in certain restaurants? I didn't realize what was in this delicious stuff ive been eating at hole in the wall diners fir years!

anyone have any insight or safe recipes?
    Last edited by marshall; March 14, 2020, 07:12 AM.

My wife regularly makes it from scratch. Egg yolks, butter, tarragon, splash of vinegar. We have a small Silton sauce maker that constantly stirs the sauce with an adjustable heat dial. So the egg yolks get heated, just not to the stage of hardening.

We've never been concerned about 'safety - I view it as just as safe as making sunny side up or over easy fried eggs, or lightly poached eggs.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that that's Bernaise sauce, but the concept is the same.

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Never thought about the sunny side up eggs! Lol thanks for the response

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooops, yup it is Bernaise for filets mostly. Sorry about that, but as Dewesq55 says, it is basically the same.

Kenji's "Foolproof Hollandaise" recipe in the Food Lab cookbook ended up at 160° from the hot butter. Seems safe enough to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here