Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remoulade Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remoulade Sauce

Here you go, Mr. Bones , as requested:

Shrimp Remoulade

2 pounds precooked, peeled, deveined shrimp -- medium to large size

Remoulade Sauce for the Shrimp
    3 Tbl celery juice or 1 stalk of celery
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 Tbl Hungarian Hot Paprika -- NOT SWEET Paprika
    1 6 oz jar dijon mustard
    3 Tbl ketchup
    2-3 Tbl. prepared horseradish or wasabi (start with 2 Tbl and go from there)
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    2 cups canola oil

1. In a food processor, coarsely chop the onion, parsley, and celery (if not using celery juice).

2. Add the remainder of the Sauce ingredients except the canola oil, and pulse the processor until well mixed. This process should chop the vegetables more finely as well.

3. With the metal blade running at top speed, slowly drizzle the canola oil into the mixture in the processor to emulsify the sauce.

4. Adjust the heat level with hot paprika, horseradish, and Tabasco until the desired result is achieved. The proportions given here will result in a slightly spicy sauce.

5. Pour sauce over shrimp and allow to marinate a minimum of 3 hours before serving on a bed of Boston lettuce garnished with lemon wedges. Crackers or matzoh can be served alongside as well.

In this remoulade sauce, you can distinctly taste the three sources of heat: the warm spice heat from the Hungarian Hot Paprika, the sharp acidic heat from the Tabasco, and the sinus-clearing heat from the horseradish. I like to balance all three so their effects are equal.

Also you can add less oil if you want a lower fat sauce. Sometimes I reduce the oil to just half a cup, keeping all other sauce ingredients the same. Of course it doesn't go as far but the flavors are more intensified with less oil.

Enjoy!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 13, 2019, 02:32 PM.

Remoulade newbie here --

When I read step 2 "...Add the remainder of the ingredients except the canola oil..." I was horrified at the idea of pureeing those lovely shrimp. Until I got to step 5 where I was able to revise my mental image of the dish.

Maybe update step 2 to include the shrimp with the canola?

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I clarified it; sorry for the confusion. Having grown up eating remoulade, I guess I just assumed everyone knew it was a sauce.

K.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Obviously I'm rather slow on the uptake, fzxdoc. I look forward to trying your recipe -- it sounds like a nice dish for eating outdoors on a warm, lazy summer evening.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy you encouraged me to clarify, IowaGirl . That's what makes this site so wonderful--all of us helping each other. Shrimp in Remoulade Sauce is pretty addictive, so beware!

K.

Sounds delicious, I'll be tryin this at home...
    Many Thanks, Milady...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 14, 2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Kathryn.

Comment

Thanks for this recipie.

Comment

That sounds great! I wish you'd posted this a day ago. We had surf and surf for dinner last night - shrimp and scallops. I would have loved to try this. Oh well. I guess we'll have to eat shrimp again next week. Gosh darn!

Comment

Yum!

Comment

I love shrimps with remoulade sauce will give yours a try.

Comment

Another for my list of must does. Thanks Kathryn

Comment

try stuffing grilled avocado halves with the sauce topped with shrimp and chives!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that sounds delicious.

Kathryn

• gcdmd
                    gcdmd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, Yeah. Avocado halves stuffed with lumpfish caviar would be a nice accompaniment.

Nice one - on the list it goes!!!

Comment

Nice sauce, I've always store bought it. Will have to give it a try !!

Comment

Love remoulade! This sounds like a good one! I made some for my first homemade crab cakes two weeks ago. It sounds great for shrimp.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Remoulade is wonderful on crab cakes. That's usually what I do with any leftover sauce the next day.

K.

Balancing the 3 heat sources, so you like the mouth, nose and eyes to water. Glad there wasn't a 4th.

Is this a reverse marinade sauce or can it also work with uncooked shrimp, with some reserve sauce for serving?

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, you could call it a reverse marinade type of sauce. It is a thick, creamy sauce, made to be poured onto peeled, deveined, cooked shrimp. Or you can dip the shrimp into it. Cold shrimp and a spicy remoulade with a cold beer at the ready is pretty tasty, I cannot lie. Great on crabcakes, too.

Kathryn

• gcdmd
                        gcdmd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Using it as the centerpiece for a simple salad is also great.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here