Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Oktoberfest Mustard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Anderson
    commented on 's reply
    I buy my seeds from Butcher and Packer.

• smokin fool
    replied
    What ever floats your boat.
    My way of thinking, if its a beef sausage horseradish would be a great match, to my somewhat limited knowledge most sausages are pork, I don't find the two horseradish and pork sausage a good match.
    The Schneider's brand Oktoberfest sausage's I buy are actually a ham sausage.
    While I find Dijon too too vinegary for my taste that being said everyone's palette is different.

Sooo….for my next stab at this mustard...

1. 2 tbsp butter
    2. 1 tbsp flour
    3. 1/4 cups brown mustard
    however at the end of the day I see this step as being a 50 50 combo of brown and yellow mustards
    4. 2 tbsp honey
    5. 1 tbsp brown sugar
    6. 1/3 cup of milk
    7. Cider vinegar to taste
    8. Optional....the Wildcard entry....for example, horseradish if suits what your smoking and that's what you want

Mind you if I find the original Schneider's Okterberfest mustard on the shelf when shopping, KA-BOOM, I'm buying it....

Last edited by smokin fool; June 16, 2019, 07:31 AM. Reason: Just thoughtta something....Apple sauce in combination with the honey and brown sugar

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    all ears, bein ~50% deutsch ancestry...
    admittedly, might have a thing fer brats, an mustards, lol...

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    SmokeyGator I hate to disillusion you but true Dijon is a yellow mustard made from yellow mustard seed, ver jus(a type of wine) and a small amount of herbs. Including garlic. Well take care and find some real Dijon from Dijon if you can not the grocery store brands. It will be yellow, full of flavor, moderately spicy to spicy.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 15, 2019, 10:17 PM.

• SmokeyGator
    replied
    Additions? Maybe a hint of horseradish? I like my mustard on the Dijon side more than the yellow side

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, I'm taking honey and cider vinegar from this recipe

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    If you want to play here are some Bavarian mustards to make for sausages.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Here is an interesting version:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to help. Brown mustard is hotter than yellow and will offset the vinegar some. I have some recipes that don't go in the refrig. for a week. Dijon comes to mind. Out of the pot it will blow my mind off. Well good luck. There are so many types out there to try.

• Donw
    replied
    Thank you for sharing. Going to try making this.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Brown mustard is now on shopping list.
    The milk never curdled, I probably cooked it at low temp for 7-8 mins, the vinegar is just over bearing to my taste.
    To others It may be just right.
    I did put in the fridge right away so next batch will leave on counter over night.
    Thank you for your input.
    We did add 3 tbsps of honey seemed to take away some of the tartness of the vinegar.
    Think we're getting someplace with this with everyone's help.

Leave a comment:

• AverageJoe
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones they are wicked good as well. They have cherries and habaneros in them.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I have two books on mustard first German mustards are made with brown mustard, especially there Bavarian/Octoberfest ones. Second cook the milk mixture longer you don't want it to curdle when you add the vinegar. In the mustards I have made the recipes have said to let them cure on the counter until they have mellowed to your taste and only then refrigerate Once they hit the cold they are set and will not mellow any further, or very slightly. I agree with using all brown sugar and maybe not quite as much of it. You want it sweet but not overbearingly so.

I make enough mustard that I buy my own yellow and brown mustard seed. I am going to have to find a new vendor as the one I had the owner passed and they closed down.

I tried to find a recipe of mine but I'm on vacation and have very poor reception so no luck. This site and a couple others seem to like me.LOL

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Unnerstood; I consider all receipts to be in "Livin Document" status

• smokin fool
    replied
    These recipes are written on paper not stone, any ideas, improvements, suggestions or tweaks are certainly welcome.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here