Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Oktoberfest Mustard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Oktoberfest Mustard

I'm grilling Oktoberfest sausage this afternoon but could not find the Oktoberfest mustard that goes hand and hand with these sausages.
    Found a recipe on the old interweb so cooked it up the other night.
    This would be good with Brats or Wursts and kind of grilled sausage
    Its really close taste wise and would make changes the next time, anyway here's the recipe

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1/4 cup white vinegar

Instructions:
    1. Melt butter in sauce pan
    2. Whisk in flour until smooth
    3. Stir in mustard, sugar and milk
    4. Cook over low heat until smooth
    5. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar

Changes
    1. I switched out 1 tbsp white sugar for 1 tbsp brown sugar. Next time I would only use brown sugar.
    2. Vinegar 1/4 cup was too much at the time but is mellowing with age. Next time I would add vinegar by tbsp until I got taste where I wanted it, and/or would experiment with other vinegars, maybe Apple cider.

Outstanding. We get a lot of sausages and brats from Continental and this looks like a great one to go on the jackalope sausages.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd haveta reckon, without thus far hittin their site, that jackalope sausages would be summat powerful pricey, due to they's some elusive lil rascals!!!

Lookin forward to that cook, Brother!

• AverageJoe
      AverageJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones they are wicked good as well. They have cherries and habaneros in them.

I will definitely be tryin this, thanks fer sharin, Brother!

Mustard is very much a staple, in much of what I concoct, culinarily...

Once I find I like V.1.0.0, I might sneak in some prepared horseradish, next batch...

Comment

These recipes are written on paper not stone, any ideas, improvements, suggestions or tweaks are certainly welcome.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Unnerstood; I consider all receipts to be in "Livin Document" status

I have two books on mustard first German mustards are made with brown mustard, especially there Bavarian/Octoberfest ones. Second cook the milk mixture longer you don't want it to curdle when you add the vinegar. In the mustards I have made the recipes have said to let them cure on the counter until they have mellowed to your taste and only then refrigerate Once they hit the cold they are set and will not mellow any further, or very slightly. I agree with using all brown sugar and maybe not quite as much of it. You want it sweet but not overbearingly so.

I make enough mustard that I buy my own yellow and brown mustard seed. I am going to have to find a new vendor as the one I had the owner passed and they closed down.

I tried to find a recipe of mine but I'm on vacation and have very poor reception so no luck. This site and a couple others seem to like me.LOL

Comment

• Dick Anderson
        Dick Anderson commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy my seeds from Butcher and Packer.

Brown mustard is now on shopping list.
      The milk never curdled, I probably cooked it at low temp for 7-8 mins, the vinegar is just over bearing to my taste.
      To others It may be just right.
      I did put in the fridge right away so next batch will leave on counter over night.
      Thank you for your input.
      We did add 3 tbsps of honey seemed to take away some of the tartness of the vinegar.
      Think we're getting someplace with this with everyone's help.

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Going to try making this.

Comment

If you want to play here are some Bavarian mustards to make for sausages.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          all ears, bein ~50% deutsch ancestry...
          admittedly, might have a thing fer brats, an mustards, lol...

Additions? Maybe a hint of horseradish? I like my mustard on the Dijon side more than the yellow side

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          SmokeyGator I hate to disillusion you but true Dijon is a yellow mustard made from yellow mustard seed, ver jus(a type of wine) and a small amount of herbs. Including garlic. Well take care and find some real Dijon from Dijon if you can not the grocery store brands. It will be yellow, full of flavor, moderately spicy to spicy.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 15, 2019, 10:17 PM.

What ever floats your boat.
        My way of thinking, if its a beef sausage horseradish would be a great match, to my somewhat limited knowledge most sausages are pork, I don't find the two horseradish and pork sausage a good match.
        The Schneider's brand Oktoberfest sausage's I buy are actually a ham sausage.
        While I find Dijon too too vinegary for my taste that being said everyone's palette is different.

Sooo….for my next stab at this mustard...

1. 2 tbsp butter
        2. 1 tbsp flour
        3. 1/4 cups brown mustard
        however at the end of the day I see this step as being a 50 50 combo of brown and yellow mustards
        4. 2 tbsp honey
        5. 1 tbsp brown sugar
        6. 1/3 cup of milk
        7. Cider vinegar to taste
        8. Optional....the Wildcard entry....for example, horseradish if suits what your smoking and that's what you want

Mind you if I find the original Schneider's Okterberfest mustard on the shelf when shopping, KA-BOOM, I'm buying it....

Last edited by smokin fool; June 16, 2019, 07:31 AM. Reason: Just thoughtta something....Apple sauce in combination with the honey and brown sugar

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here