Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Marinara Sauce Recipe question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Marinara Sauce Recipe question...

From: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...a-sauce-recipe

In step 5 it states, "In a 2 quart pot or large frying pan"...

My question, the only thing I have on hand (for when I try this recipe), is a 5 quart cast iron dutch oven, will this be an issue? I have heard tales of cast iron and tomatoes not being the best of friends.

Cooking tomato sauce for long periods might affect the seasoning on CI. I don't think I would do it, but there are others here with more knowledge on CI than I. They will be along shortly. Oh Spinaker !

Comment

Using cast iron for this recipe was a "lean towards no" for me. So, follow up question, what type of vessel should I use?

Comment

Enameled cast iron would be fine.

Seasoned cast iron might give a metallic flavor to the sauce, and possibly leach off your seasoning of the pot. If it is not seasoned, it will give you a very pronounced metallic flavor.

Comment

I use my CI for tomato based cooks like shakshuka and beef bolognese all of the time with no problems or off flavors. Just like Mom and Grandma before me. I clean them with the dreaded soap and hot water (I will even scrub with, gasp, Scotchbrite if needed), immediately dry, then re-season on the stovetop with a high smoke point oil. Like all of my other tools, I maintain, sharpen, and don't misuse or abuse them, but to me they are still just tools.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; June 12, 2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I am with CaptainMike Heck SS wasn't even invented until the early 2000's me think's and it was expensive then. I remember many a time my granny pulling out her CI pot doing an extra seasoning run and making tomato sauce in it.

Comment

I've cooked tomato-based dishes in my cast iron pots and skillet without any noticeable problem. Just transfer it to something else after it's done cooking and you should be fine if your pot is properly seasoned. If you have an enamel dutch oven you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great point, pretty much any food will take on an iron taste if stored in CI.

This is perfect advice, and a useful discussion. Thank you to all who offered guidance. I have a fairly well season CI 5 GT dutch over. I will go ahead and ensure a better season on it. Once the food has completed the cook in the CI, I will xfer over to a more favorable storage environment. I am pretty excited to try this recipe. Man, I flipping love this forum. Money well spent. Thanks, gang.

Comment

Follow up question: I though Enameled cast iron was a definite no-no on the grill. Please note: I always, always reserve the right to be wrong.

Comment

Enameled CI is good to 500* in an oven environment so as long as you don't exceed that you’re fine. The problem you run into is the soot buildup which can be difficult to get off. Enameled cookware has been used in chuck wagon cooking for a long time. Ever notice that big pot of coffee that cooky always seems to have hot and ready?

Comment

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep. My enamel Dutch oven is white and the soot is very difficult to fully wipe off.
                    Last edited by JeffJ; June 16, 2019, 02:50 PM.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's been a couple lifetimes since I've been on a chuck wagon. Obviously, mileage varies.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was referring to the old cowboy movies, chuck wagoning isn’t exactly a team sport these days

Also meant to say that I’d go with Lodge or regular CI if you choose outdoors as your prime cooking environment.

Comment

I need to spend more time here. You all are flipping awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here