Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Secret Supposedly Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santamarina
    replied
    I have no idea how authentic this sauce is, but it sounds absolutely delicious. I’ll definitely be trying this on my next batch of wings! Thanks for sharing :-)

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    I’ve been to Anchor Bar, but don’t like buffalo sauce (in general). I just had their wings with bbq sauce. Thanks for sharing though!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Probably has a lot to do with passing of ownership, as well as of the generation that opened the bar and invented the wings. Sadly most places go downhill when the original owner moves or passes on.

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    ... must be some kinda new-fangled condiment or something ... 🤨 ...

• ssandy_561
    replied
    That seems about right. Growing up in the Buffalo area I visited the Anchor Bar many a time. Their wings we great back in the day but their wings have gone down hill over the past 10 years. Now the Anchor Bar is just a big tourist trap in my opinion. There are at least 20 other places in Buffalo I'd rather get wings at than at the Anchor Bar.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx for sharing. This gets added to the, (very long), list of recipes to try...

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Well, you will have to make this sauce up and let us know what you think, as you are likely going to be the closest thing to an expert around here!

For many years I deep fried my wings, but for the past year or two I've taken to grilling them at 350, as it is a lot easier to grill and have 10 pounds of wings ready at one time on the grill, than it is with the deep fryer!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I just use butter these days, as we tend to buy that. I just have to whisk it some in order to "emulsify" the sauce. Otherwise it does tend to separate after sitting there for a bit.

These days I just make this on the corner of the grill in a small sauce pan while direct grilling the wings (on grill grates).

• PWB0108
    replied
    Thanks for sharing. I've had plenty of wings from the Anchor Bar back in my college days. I'm definitely going to give this recipe a try. They also just opened an Anchor Bar Restaurant here in Frederick, MD recently.

Leave a comment:

• BRic
    replied
    Thanks for sharing ! we are going to try this .

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Thanks fer sharin, Amigo!

I'll haveta look around, see if any local stores carry this "margarine" stuff that ya spoke of...

Leave a comment:

• Super Secret Supposedly Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce

Ok, swore I would never share my "secret" buffalo wing sauce recipe, but here goes.

I found this recipe on Usenet in 1994, and printed it off, and its been in a 3 ring binder of recipes ever since. For those of you who don't know what Usenet is.... it was the web before there was a web or a web browser. Anyway, that recipe purported to be the original one from the Anchor bar in Buffalo. I cannot say whether it is or not, but I've been whipping this up on the stove (or grill) for 25 years, and friends and family say its the best. I don't normally look at the recipe after making it that many years, but did to share with my friends here on Amazing Ribs. Here goes!

For a dozen full wings (I usually double or triple this recipe):

- 6 Tbsp Frank's Redhot Sauce
    - 1/2 stick margarine (or salted butter - the recipe says margarine only though, as it mixes better)
    - 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
    - 1 to 2 tsp Tabasco sauce (I usually use 1 to reduce heat)
    - 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
    - 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    - 1/4 tsp red pepper (I use crushed red pepper - ground makes it overly hot)
    - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    - 1/4 tsp celery seed
    - 1/8 tsp garlic salt

Heat the sauce just until the butter or margarine melts. Butter tends to separate more than margins, but you can wisk it up some if that happens.

When grilling, I brush about half the sauce on the wings towards the end of cooking, and reserve half for the table. If frying, I toss the wings in the sauce after the fryer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here