Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marinating, basting versus dipping sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marinating, basting versus dipping sauce

Did up a batch of Meathead's Huli-Huli Teriyaki Chicken. Used the marinating sauce 24 hours in advance, basted, everything cooked up fine -- but marinating and basting did not do much for the flavor. Used the extra (fresh) marinate as a dipping sauce -- fantastic! Really debating about marinating . . . dipping sauce seems to be the way to go. Thoughts?

I like to baste while cooking, but definitely heat up some fresh stuff on the side to a nice bubbling to apply to finished product.

Marinating is good for any and all salt to get into the meat.

Comment

Gashing the flesh can help the marinade penetrate the meat. I like to have it heated, next to my grill, then I baste as I cook, every time I flip.

If you have not already, give this article on the myths of marinades and how they work a read.

Comment

• catman
        catman commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker -- Read the referenced article. Very informative. The marinade was fantastic when we simmered it in the pan, but the flavor just didn't carry over to the chicken when grilled it. Using the marinade as a "dipping" sauce at dinner gave the flavor we expected off the grill, if that makes sense.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here