Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Tomatillo Salsa Verde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Tomatillo Salsa Verde

Just made this up for brunch tomorrow. It will be served over omelettes filled with sautéed onion, bell pepper, tomato, and feta cheese.

10 tomatillos, husked and washed
    1 jalapeno (2 if you like it hot!)
    1 small red onion, diced fine
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sour cream
    1 tsp lime or lemon juice
    1/4 cup freshcilantro or basil, chopped

Grill (or flame roast on the stove) the tomatillos and jalapeño til they have a light char.

Take half of the tomatillos (by approximate weight) and put them in a blender with the jalapeño (seeded or not depending on preference) and sour cream and lemon juice. Blend til relatively smooth.

Scoop out and medium chop the rest of the tomatillos. Put these along with the finely diced red onion in a small mixing bowl and add the puree. Stir in the olive oil and honey. Add salt and/or pepper if desired. Capers are also an option here.

Refrigerate overnight and stir in the cilantro or basil before using.

This has a surprising citrus tang to it!

Optional: try adding some avocado to the puree to contrast with the jalapeño!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by boftx; April 21, 2019, 12:56 AM.

Boy does that ever sound delicious, boftx . Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, Brother! This sounds tasty as all git out!

Loves me some Salsa Verde, on most anything!

Comment

That sounds really good. I especially like that some of the tomatillos are pureed.

Comment

No ancho chili’s?? I love salsa verde, it’s far surpassed our TexMex salsa rojo in my kitchen.

Comment

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Oh! I haven’t made this type of salsa I a while. This is a nice reminder, seeing that great char on those!

Enjoy the flavors of your your great Creation!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here