Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon trinidadian hot sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon trinidadian hot sauce

https://www.thefooddictator.com/hirs...ian-hot-sauce/

Or for those who prefer not to click through...

Citizens, Trinidadians accompany their meals with various condiments; these can include pepper sauces, chutneys and pickles and are often homemade.

Pepper sauces are made by using habanero or other hot peppers, either minced or chopped and other spices. It can sometimes include lime or lemon as well as other vegetables, and come in many variations and flavors.

The king of all hot sauces in Trinidad is without any doubt the brand called Matouk’s, an exceptional blend of fiery habanero peppers, yellow mustard, papaya and spices.

My recipe has attempted to recreate this legendary sauce, but with even more flavors, as only TFD can!

Enjoy it, my Citizens!

Battle on – The Generalissimo

17 habanero peppers
    1 very large papaya – peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
    1 large onion, roughly chopped
    6 green onions, roughly chopped
    12 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
    ¾ cup finely cubed Murai (white daikon radish)
    2 cups distilled white vinegar
    3 limes, juiced
    3 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
    ¾ cup prepared yellow mustard
    ½ cup chopped culantro leaves (not cilantro – if not available, omit)
    1 ¼ tablespoons salt
    1 tablespoon freshly ground celery seed
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 ½ tablespoons curry powder
    3 ½ tablespoons grated lime zest
    ¾ cups chopped fresh thyme

Wearing disposable gloves, and being careful not to get any in your eyes or on your skin, roughly chop the habanero peppers.

Place the habanero peppers, papaya, onion, green onions, daikon radish, thyme, culantro and garlic into a blender. Pour in the mustard, vinegar, lime juice, and vegetable oil, cover the blender, and pulse until the mixture is very finely chopped.

Stop the blender, and add salt, sugar, curry powder, celery seed and lime zest. Blend again until the sauce is smooth. Pour into clean jars, and store in refrigerator.

I think I'll adapt those wicked little peppers I mentioned earlier to this recipe. The final assault on the garden before "The Freeze" is now imminent, El Generalissimo!! To Arms!!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is about that time for me, too. I need to pick them all, core some, smoke them for 4 hrs and then dehydrate them. They will last all winter. I can rehydrate them in hot water or just grind them for seasoning when I want.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot the disclaimer - when smoking hot peppers wear goggles when you open the cooker. Smoke only meat you like a little spicy for the next couple of cooks.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 we pretty much do the same thing. We also have a crappy old Bradley smoker that is dedicated to peppers.

So NOW somebody brings up wear gloves...

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Somehow peppers don't bother my fingers. I just make sure not to touch around my eyes or... the "swimsuit area". :P

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, be sure to remove the gloves before using "the facility". DAMHIKT!

Bookmarked, thanks!

I have a good source for daikon here. The culantro might be a challenge. I'll be with the high vinegar content the sauce will keep a while in the fridge.

Comment

Gloves? We don't need no stinkin gloves.

Wait, my eyes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	eyes.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	577474

Comment

Why omit cilantro, if using as a substitute? Culantro and cilantro are the same family, with similar flavors.

Comment

Trinies be crazy, man. I know this... from experience. lol

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Tobagoans too!

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF people that use wooden sleds? Yeah, they be insane man.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here