Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust

Has any one tried using mustard instead of water for a spice bonding agent on beef with cow crust?

I do all the time and personally don’t see much of a difference. My eyes aren’t as good as they use to be and I find the mustard helps me get a more even spread of rub across the surface.

Comment

I've used mustard on chicken and pork and it works great. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Comment

I have used mustard for pork shoulder but am now starting to use mayo. It helps keep the meat moist since it is oil based. Clint Cantwell of AmazingRibs has a recipe for competition ribs using mayo after salting and before applying the rub.

Not sure if it is allowed to have link to external article but you can search Google for "Mustard vs Mayo Magic Ribs".
        Last edited by JimLinebarger; September 21, 2018, 04:22 PM. Reason: Found article

Comment

Per meathead on the free side
          Water or oil under the rub?

You can put a rub right on bare meat, or you can help it stick by moistening the meat with a little water, oil, or a slather of mustard or ketchup. We hope that the spices and herbs will melt a bit, make a nice flavorful slurry that will become a major part of the desirable flavorful lovable bark when it is heated and dries out.

Here's a little experiment I did. I put my two most popular rubs in oil and water. Meathead's Memphis Dust, which is mostly spices, and Simon & Garfunkel Rub, which is mostly herbs. As you can see, they dissolved much better in water. My experience is that they make little or no difference in the final outcome. I also tried them in 40% vodka and they dissolved a little better than water, but alcohol can really mess with the structure of protein so I don't recommend it.

Many cooks like to use a base of bottled mustard under their rub. Bottled mustard is a mix of powdered mustard with water, vinegar, and/or white wine, all mostly water. The amount of mustard powder is so small that by the time the water steams off and drips away, the mustard powder remaining is miniscule. If you want a mustard flavor, you will do much better by simply sprinkling it on the meat. Far more important is what is in the rub than under the rub. So use whatever you want.

Comment

Try worchestershire (wash yer sister) sauce for prime rib as the binder.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve used wash yer sister (love that tweeter) for years. Mostly water but I feel there is some umami effect. Probably mostly psychological.

I use air, pressing firmly.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 21, 2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              +1

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus it’s free

I usually make an oil paste, then apply it to the meat.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I liked the wash yer sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Donw View Post
                I do all the time and personally don’t see much of a difference. My eyes aren’t as good as they use to be and I find the mustard helps me get a more even spread of rub across the surface.
                Exactly right, at least for me. The contrast helps a bunch. I've heard dill pickle juice as well. Tried it - it's about the same as mustard, neither leaving any discernible taste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here