Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hirshon Southern Jezebel Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hirshon Southern Jezebel Sauce

This stuff would make an old shoe the paragon of toothsome flavor!

https://www.thefooddictator.com/the-...jezebel-sauce/

My Citizens, I hope you are all enjoying a pleasant Labor Day holiday, if you are living in the United States! 😀

Your beloved – the antebellum and antithetical TFD! – is a huge fan of classic Southern recipes. Not the slimmed-down, low-sugar modern interpretations, but the original sugar-heavy, fat-forward spicy goodness that Northerners can only dream of wistfully in our culinary tradition.

One recipe I am especially fond of that exemplifies my personal taste is Jezebel sauce – which almost always makes an appearance at a Southern Church potluck or home when visitors drop by. In its most classic form, Jezebel sauce contains pineapple preserves, apple jelly, horseradish, and mustard.

There is, of course, the question of that name – one best answered by a scholarly article from the Biloxi Sun-Herald in 2005:

Most recipes named for a person tend to have documented pedigrees; we can trace bananas Foster, Melba toast and chicken tetrazzini to a particular person and chef in a particular restaurant. But Jezebel sauce is an orphan.

Jezebel herself was a 9th century BCE Phoenician princess known best as the wife of Ahab, King of Israel, who she converted to the worship of the Lord of the Flies. Her foe Elijah, speaking through the prophet Elisha, brought about her downfall, and it’s because of her idolatry and animosity towards Hebrew prophets (she had a number of them killed) that she is remembered as a voluptuous temptress who led the righteous Ahab astray.

While Jezebel’s association with sexual promiscuity is of more recent vintage (e.g. Frankie Laine’s 1951 hit "Jezebel"), it’s usually taken for granted that this cloying reputation led to the naming of this blend of sweet condiments mixed with pungent horseradish. Jezebel sauce is most often served with ham, pork or other meats such as roast beef or smoked turkey, but is sometimes poured over cream cheese for use as a cocktail dip with crackers.

Biblical precedent aside, the sauce’s parenthood is shrouded. In response to a query about Jezebel’s culinary origins, Liz Williams, President and Director of the Southern Food and Beverage Museum, said, “You are asking about one of those mysterious things in food. I think that most people agree that Clementine Paddleford’s is the first written reference to the sauce as Jezebel sauce in the mid-1950s. Other than that, I do not know.

Fruit sauces mixed with horseradish existed before, but were not called Jezebel sauce.” The delightfully-named Clementine was an American food writer active from the 1920s through the 1960s, writing for the New York Herald Tribune, the New York Sun, and the New York Telegram, among others.

Paddleford’s recipe for Jezebel sauce is in her landmark work, How America Eats (1960), though she may well have written about it elsewhere before then. Gary Saunders of DixieDining.com ("May the Fork Be with You!") says, "Jezebel sauce is a spicy sauce (like Jezebel herself) that contains pineapple preserves, apple jelly, horseradish, and mustard. The Jezebel sauce (or glaze) is often served over ham. A Southern origin of this dish seems certain, with Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida all putting in claims."

He then cites recipes from the Syracuse (NY) Post-Standard, 26 October 1958, ""Mrs. Kansas’ Is a Cooking Whiz: Treats from the Sunflower State,” This Week magazine; the Pontiac (IL) Daily Leader, 21 November, 1967; and the Elyria (OH) Chronicle-Telegram. This last source states that the recipe is from Sunny Side Up, "the excellent cookbook published by the Junior League of Fort Lauderdale, Fla."

More confusingly, Andrea Yeager, in an August, 2005 article in the Biloxi Sun Herald, "On the Trail of Jezebel Sauce", writes, “Is Jezebel sauce a Mississippi creation? Rodney Simmons of Bell Buckle Country Store in Tennessee wants to know. His company recently began producing Jezebel sauce, and he would like to know the origin of the sauce. He has traced the recipe’s history to the Gulf Coast.

"I thought it was Creole or Cajun, but after a recent conversation with Paul Prudhomme, we think that it originated on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, around Gulfport." (Simmons doesn’t fully recount the conversation.) As a native son proud of his state’s culinary heritage, I’d like to think that Jezebel sauce originated in Mississippi, but I suspect it originated in the Midwest. This Jackson recipe is from the splendid The Southern Hospitality Cookbook by Winifred Greene Cheney, who claims, "Some of this sauce would have made Ahab’s wife a better woman." I doubt it; Jezebel was a real bitch.

The Jezebel Biscuit (my favorite way to enjoy this!) consists of a cat-head-sized biscuit filled with country ham, pimento cheese and Jezebel sauce – this is true palatal perfection to me!

My version of the recipe returns Jezebel sauce to its Southern roots – Southern India that is! Jezebel sauce is, after all, basically a chutney and I wanted to add in spices that reflect both the Southern U.S. and South India – in this case, celery seed and Ajwain (an Indian spice that tastes of a combination of thyme and oregano). Add in a few shakes of Tabasco, a minced clove of black garlic (whose sweetness and garlic flavor are a perfect match to this sauce) and it is complete! Feel free to leave my optional tweaks out for the classic sauce.

I hope you will all give this wonderful recipe a try, my Citizens! 🙂

Battle on – the Generalissimo

THE HIRSHON SOUTHERN JEZEBEL SAUCE
    • 3 tbsp. prepared horseradish, drained
    • 3 tbsp. dry mustard
    • ¾ cup pineapple preserves
    • ¾ cup apple jelly
    • 1 tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper
    • ½ tbsp. freshly-ground celery seed (optional)
    • ½ tbsp. freshly-ground ajwain seed (optional)
    • 1 clove black garlic, finely-minced (optional)
    • A few shakes of Tabasco (optional)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Combine all thoroughly, let it sit overnight in the fridge to allow the flavors to blend. Serve over cream cheese, ham or pretty much anything.

Recipe Copyright The Food Dictator Website, All Rights Reserved

Not speaking for others on here but you might get better responses if you don't call us your citizens

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a direct re-post from my blog, thus the reason for this...

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Jhirshon so in over words your just using this site to promote your blogs site and nothing more

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Jhirshon do you have any recipes for bbq like brisket,ribs,pork butts,chicken, wings, beef ribs,bbq sauce,rubs,sv, burgers etc etc. I'm like the kid from Deliverance playing the banjo, so I don't understand alot of fancy pants cooking

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Right up my alley: only a few ingredients and no convoluted process.

Comment

customtrim that's significantly rude. I have more than 35,000 readers of my blog and have no need to promote it here or anywhere else. I was simply trying to share my few bbq recipes with a new group of people in a supposedly snark-free environment. I'm saddened to see I was wrong and if this kind of behavior is indicative of the people on this forum, I'll cancel my subscription and go.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Bienvenido and thank you for your contribution.

Well I was not trying to be rude I thought it was a fair question because you have posted a link to it in every post. We have members who have you tube channels. Blogs etc they dont post the link everytime so I was curious. But I also asked if you had any Bbq recipes for the different kinds of meats

Comment

You're right Jhirshon, that's a fair point. We strive to keep a snark-free environment and I'm sorry we've let you down. customtrim He's sharing his recipes, link or not, blog or not, let's be welcoming and show him what The Pit is about, and this isn't it.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            How about we all just let it go? Friction happens for any number of reasons. Forgetting about it is the best balm. Cook, eat, be merry! As the song goes, "life is but a dream"!

Thanks for sharing, Jhirshon .

Comment

• Jhirshon
            Jhirshon commented
            Editing a comment
            My pleasure, sir!

EdF - I concur.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here