Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Hot Sauce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Hot Sauce.

Has anyone ever tried their hand at homemade hot sauce? I think I am going to attempt to make a smoked hot sauce.. Something that tells you it's there, but has a lot of great flavor

I learned from my coworkers from the south i use dried peppers found in the grocery stores makes the best tasting sauce and you adjust the heat with the type of peppers

Comment

Here is a type made the same way HouseHomey turned me onto. Guajillo sauce

Comment

don't forget hot sauce made with chili de arbol!!! are you planning on dried chilis or fresh (fermented).

Comment

This thread has potential.
          What kind of hot sauce are you looking to make?
          A straight up hot sauce, a buffalo sauce, a hot sauce that you can use in different types of dishes??
          There’s a lot of possibilities here.
          Let’s see where this goes.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I think The Man has arrived!

I have made a few most of them adapted from other recipes. I am growing more peppers this year so I can experiment a bit. There are many possibilities.

Comment

I made fermented hot sauce from fresh hot peppers from my garden last year. I followed information found on line from It’s alive with Brad. The results were good after about two weeks fermenting.

Comment

• djl
              djl commented
              Editing a comment
              I did pretty much same thing. My first batch was with with cayenne and green jalapeños. Tasted good, but color was horrible. Then I saw Brad's video and made a batch with fresnos and habaneroa. Looked fantastic! Good, but extremely hot. Definitely making it again, but maybe only 1 or 2 habaneros this time

I’ve Followed this process. http://phickle.com/we-can-phickle-th...-pepper-sauce/

Comment

Of course I have. Here I am making sriracha. I also have a mango habanero sauce I created people seem to really like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DQHJwftO5S12E7udUC4Xvxc-rc0M3bAPlRmO_X-k-O17pOa09KANaeX0TXkzYOc8gOagSbYEp0x5dRZmfTuq_rL_GWLGkTsvLecijCKCz04BO6-hjMsIKQfwuHjZWjaqWueaiL4EtCnQyWVjCmDcTfwHs9xugJy2fwHB7D_X4HyMBbX9j4fr3NziBp-zLIBHjmchSlfQJheRbRFMx73INkkGx1CP6qekeZVasRO-Q3Sez5q3r-zBIxAJvS4M3ga
Views:	192
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	497565

Comment

Do the peppers have to be fermented? I was planning on just using fresh peppers, and doing a light roast and smoke, before blending them. I just want an everyday hot sauce.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not necessarily.

• PappyBBQ
                  PappyBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like your line of thinking vis-a-vie light smoke/roast. I've roasted them on my stove top until blackened, then into a ziplock for 20 minutes or so. Then clean them up (you can leave a bit of the blackened skin for flavor if you want) and use 'em.

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I roast fresh peppers on a charcoal grill. I fill the bottom grate with a single layer of hot coals and cook direct. The results are great.

I have not, but thanks for bringing it up. I need to add another obsession and will be following this closely...

Comment

Here's one I like: Kick Ass Habanero Sauce.

A major ingredient is carrots. Go figure.

I usually add an extra pepper or two. It keeps for weeks in the fridge in case you have wimps in the house.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Carrots have lots of sugar so they are good for balancing out with the heat.

• BBQ_Steve-O
                    BBQ_Steve-O commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This sound really good. I will give it a try. Thanks!

Originally posted by N227GB View Post
                  Here's one I like: Kick Ass Habanero Sauce.

A major ingredient is carrots. Go figure.

I usually add an extra pepper or two. It keeps for weeks in the fridge in case you have wimps in the house.
                  This looks good.... Making it...... Thanks for the lead....

Comment

I like that idea, can you report back Fossy, on recipie if it is a success? If it isn't a success can you report back so we can share a chuckle! 😁

Comment

Going to do this sometime next week. Will report back. Going to try two different types.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here