Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mushrooms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mushrooms...

One of my favorite ways of enjoying a N.Y. Strip is to deglaze the pan with a jar/can of mushrooms, then dump on top of the steak.

At Sprouts today, there was one particular Strip that was yelling my name, and she came home with me. My first meat purchase from Sprouts.

I also picked up some dried mushrooms, varieties I have never cooked with, and thought I might take a crack at brining and using them instead of the ol' Green Giant jar.

I have 1oz each, dried, of Shiitake, Oyster, & Porcini.

For those experienced with dried mushrooms, what are your recommendations? How long to brine & suggested ratios of mushroom/brine? Would a blend of these go well together, or am I better off just using one or another?

Looking to grow here some, but really don't wanna mess up this steak.

Thanks.

You just soak them in warm water for a while. Drain the water or strain it - it has strong unami flavor. They basically come back to life.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't include them in a brine - add later for the finish with juices, using W.A. s recommendation to dehydrate. I't try the porcini for the special steak.

What W.A. said. A half hour soak should be plenty. Singly or mix and match--your choice.

EDit add-on: I've never used dried mushrooms "straight". They've always gone into a sauce of some kind--usually a red Italian-ish thing.
    Last edited by Willy; February 12, 2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Ya, I probably ought to just soak a few of each, taste, and go from there. A bit of water and a pinch of salt.

EdF I'm assuming the shrooms would be best rehydrated with a bit of salt. That is what I meant when mentioning brining the mushrooms. Not as heavy as the jarred/canned usually come in. The steak is just doing a plain ol' salt brine until I cook it tomorrow.

I guess none of these are as strongly flavored as a morel. I was served a dish topped with morel some time back. I loved the mushroom flavor, but just a small slice overpowered everything else.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure throwing in a little salt matters much either way. Porcini are nice and reasonably subtle, which is why I recommended them first. Shitake probably stronger, oysters milder. Morels! ;-)

Reconstitute them in near-boiling water for about 30 minutes after rinsing them thoroughly in a strainer to get rid of any lingering sand grains ... then pick through them and discard anything that seems to still be too tough or hard (typically stems). Be careful of the porcinis... they can be very pungent and overpowering if you use too many. The shiitake and oysters are much milder. I've never tried reconstituting in salted water so I'll be curious to hear how that turns out.

Comment

MBMorgan I was assuming salted water for two reasons.

A touch of salt tends to "awaken" the taste buds. Also, the store bought shrooms are typically in a very salty brine, although that may be a preservation thing. Thanks for the tips!! I should just experiment during the day, before topping the steak. Your taste buds apparently differ from EdF's, and mine probably from both of your's.

Comment

Well, do keep us posted on how it went! May have to be mushroom medley. There are worse fates!

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Will be tomorrow or the next day. Steak is now dry brining and vacuum sealed. (My first vac project). Am now thinking of adding the shrooms to my favorite pasta though, instead of topping the steak... who knows??

Steak & mushrooms belong together if you ask me. I recently had a beef tenderloin (filet) with truffles and a barolo reduction sauce, it was out of this world.

Comment

Don't forget the soaking water can have good uses too. I've used it in sauces and risotto. It can be reduced to concentrate the mushroom flavor. Good luck!

Comment

Porcini - the king of mushrooms.....
              I usually rehidrate in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes and carefully remove them and pour off the beautiful mushroom brine leaving the gritty sandy stuff behind. I found that rinsing them removes a lot of their flavor... Brown water....
              That brine can be used in a number of dishes...,
              My sourse of dry shiitakes has no grit or sand so I just throw them into my (liquid) dish and rehidrate whilst cooking .. Like miso soup etc.
              Not sure I would use them for steak cause I find that even when rehidrated dried mushrooms never regain their full glory.....they are always a bit tougher and drier...
              But then again I've never tried it... Could be great
              ​
              Although I've never tried it I've come across some recipes on the net using ground dried porcini mushroom powder to add umami to dishes - maybe like a sauce to complement a steak....

I​​​​ may try it one day.....
              Last edited by Steve Vojtek; February 13, 2017, 07:14 AM. Reason: Added more,...

Comment

Willy, They all tended to be a bit tough, after soaking. As far as flavor

The Oyster mushrooms had the flavor I most associate with a good mushroom. Some bits were tender, some were leather.

The Shitake, I didn't think they had the intensity of flavor the oysters did. All the caps were very tough.

The Porcini, had an "off" flavor. Not sure what, I've tasted it before, but couldn't say where. It was actually my least favorite.

I ended up eating the canned with the steak.

I like BIG CHUNKS of mushroom with many things. With the toughness with all these, reconstituted, I think I'm better off sticking with a fresh Portobello. Just gotta brine them for a while first, I guess.

Comment

The porcini typically has a strong funky flavor. Wife, who thinks mushrooms taste like dirt, says the porcini tastes like the dirt under the other dirt (such a way with words). I like to grind the dry ones and mix into a rub or just into some finely ground salt. A little goes a long way with it.

Comment

I've never had what ya' could call 'good' results with rehydratin' dried mushrooms.
                    Same texture issues as you, TheCountofQ .
                    I stick to buying fresh, or canned ones now, although Potkettleblack 's suggestions are now added to my reportoire...
                    --->Like Mrs Potkettleblack 's 'way with words', btw!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here