Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stir Fry Sauces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stir Fry Sauces

I found this list of sauces and thought some here might like to play around with some of them.

RonB so which of those would be just a good run of the mill sauce that most fried rice dishes would be made from? Preferably one with minimal ingredients .

Comment

Either the basic stir fry sauce or the Schezwan sauce should be good, but here's a recipe I developed that my wife and i really enjoy:

My Basic Stir Fry Sauce

Marinade & stir fry sauce

1 tbs cornstarch
      2 tbs hoisin sauce
      2 or 3 tsp plum sauce if you like a little sweetness – I add it sometimes, but not all the time
      2 tbs bean sauce (Sub 1 tsp chili bean sauce for 1 tbs bean sauce [+ or – depending on how hot you like it] to make it spicy)
      ½ to 1 cup chicken broth, (or can use beef broth with beef )

Stir fry

1 or 2 tbs neutral flavored oil like peanut or canola
      3 or 4 quarter sized slices of fresh ginger – peeled
      2 or 3 gloves of garlic – grated or finely diced
      ½ to 1 lb meat, (chicken or beef – can use smoked meat including pork) cut into bite sized pieces
      Veges of choice – total about 2 – 3 cups – cut into bite sized pieces
      green or other colored sweet peppers
      onions (I go heavy on the onions)
      mushrooms
      zucchini
      bok choy
      celery
      ??

Optional – roasted cashews, green onions (cut into small strips), and sesame oil

Procedure:

Coat the meat with the cornstarch – not a heavy coat, just enough to tell it's there.
      Mix the rest of the marinade ingredients together.
      Pour just enough of the marinade over the meat to coat. Let marinate for at least 15 min. If you go longer, refrigerate.
      Heat your wok or large frying pan until very hot – a bead of water should dance across the bottom. Add the oil and wait for it to shimmer – if it catches fire, it's too hot. ;-)
      Add the ginger and stir until the ginger just starts to brown. At this point, you can remove the ginger if you want, but I normally don't bother.
      Add the garlic and stir about 30 sec.
      Add the meat and cook, (chicken until done – beef until desired doneness), (smoked meat just long enough to heat through), and remove.
      If the oil is all gone, add a bit more to keep the veges from sticking.
      Add the veges and cook. Green peppers first and cook a minute, then add the rest. Cook to desired doneness – crisp or tender crisp.
      Add the remaining marinade and a few drops of sesame oil if using.
      Return the meat to heat through.

Garnish with nuts and/or green onions if using and serve.

NOTES:

The amounts do not need to be exact – I don't measure when making the marinade.
      Add enough stock to thin the sauce - it should be thick enough to lightly coat the meat.
      You should use less than half the marinade on the meat.
      Chili bean paste is very hot, so go easy the first time you use it.
      The cooking oil is mostly to prevent anything from sticking. There shouldn't be any in the bottom of the pan when the veges are done.
      The cornstarch is mainly to help the sauce thicken at the end.
      The nuts work well with chicken.
      Sesame oil is strong. You just want a hint of flavor, so only a few drops.

I've read over this 4 times, but I wouldn't be surprised if I still managed to leave something out, so you can blame me if this doesn't suit you...;-)

Last edited by RonB; October 13, 2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here